Select box colour control

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

dhlocker
Newbie Member

Select box colour control

Post by dhlocker » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Is there a way to change the colour used to outline the select box? I am colour blind and the community edition of QCad that I previously used had a [yellow? or green?] outline for the select box - I could see that easily. The Pro edition that I just started using has a very dark [brown or red?] outline that I can only see if I look very carefully. I'm not sure at times whether my selecting is even active.

I didn't see a control in the app prefs for this; and again, I'd muddle with the qcad.ini file but I don't know the semantics.

Thanks again for any help, and thanks for a great product at a reasonable price that runs on "the rest of the platforms."

Donald.

michael
Site Admin

Post by michael » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:50 am

I think it is

SelectedColor=#A54747

in the [Appearance] section of "qcad.ini".

Set this value to for example:

SelectedColor=#ff4747

Anyway a good idea, because the default is too dark on black background to see on a drak screen anyway.

I also changed GridColor and MetaGridColor to a value that give me more contrast on my common Trinitron Sony monitor. (Developers like to work in the darkness, so they have to tune down there monitors to a minimum of brightness. But this is not the commonly used setup on most working places.)

The "Selecting box" color used by the mouse pointer: I did not find out if it is possible to change that color.

-----------------
[Appearance]
BackgroundColor=#000000
DraftMode=0
GridColor=#dddddd
HighlightedColor=#739373
Language=en
LanguageCmd=en
MaxPreview=100
MetaGridColor=#7F7F7F
MinGridSpacing=5
ScaleGrid=1
SelectedColor=#ff4747
ShowCrosshairs=1
ShowKeycodes=1
SolidGridLines=1
StatusBarFontSize=9
--------------

If you have a setup of qcad.ini etc. done for different color blindness, please let us know so that we can publish it on our new planned Support page.

Great Idea.

So please try different values of colors, etc. and post the whole "qcad.ini" file here. Provide also the type of your monitor (common Trinitron, or TTF Flat screen, LCD Notebook, Plasma or whatever.)

And your graphic gard or other special settings you use on your operating system like Windows color scheme for spectial setups.

Sometimes it is also possible to setup different color temperature directly on your monitor hardware of your Trinitron Monitor or whatever type you have to give you a better view as needed in different environments.

dhlocker
Newbie Member

Post by dhlocker » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:19 am

Thank you, Michael. I still haven't found a way to change the "selecting box" colour.

Is there a list of variables that can be customised in qcad.ini?

Donald.

michael
Site Admin

Post by michael » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:14 am

"selecting box" colour can as far as I know not be changed and there is no list of variables that can be customized.

Maybe it is possible in the next release then.

dhlocker
Newbie Member

Post by dhlocker » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:53 pm

Thank you, Michael. I'll be trying more colours for various customisable variables to see what I can come up with that works for me.

Donald.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:04 pm

What you are looking for is the 'Preview Color' in the application options dialog (restart QCad after changing it).

dhlocker
Newbie Member

Post by dhlocker » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:02 pm

I don't have a Preview Color (or an applications options dialog, for that matter.) The closest I have found is Edit->Application Preferences, where I have options for Background, Grid Color, Meta Grid Color, Selected Color and Highlighted Color None of these changes the color of the selection box as it is being drawn. I tried putting PreviewColor=A54747 in the .QCad.ini file but that had no effect either.

I'll go to reading the community code when I have the time.

Thank you,
Donald.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:15 pm

This was added in QCad 2.1.6.4, please use your personal download link to update.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”