QCAD has taken over my DXF files

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

plasmaron
Registered Member

QCAD has taken over my DXF files

Post by plasmaron » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:26 am

Every thing was working in Inkscape and Sheetcam, then I downloaded QCAD and it has taken over most of my Inkscape, when I try to import one of my DXF files in Sheetcam, there is nothing but a bunch of circles.
Would someone tell me how to take back my DXF files from QCAD. QCAD keeps giving an error message, wanting me to convert back 13.
Thanks
Ron

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: QCAD has taken over my DXF files

Post by Husky » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:20 am

Hi Ron, welcome to the QCAD forum.

QCAD is not able to change any dxf drawing on it's own. If you like to change anything in a drawing with QCAD then it is only possible with human intervention.
QCAD is also not able to change settings in other programs. With other words - it doesn't takes anything over.

Howsoever - something went wrong. Maybe we can isolate the problem.

Which QCAD version you are using on which operation system?

Can you attache a dxf drawing what shows the issue?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

plasmaron
Registered Member

Post by plasmaron » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Husky wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:20 am
Hi Ron, welcome to the QCAD forum.

QCAD is not able to change any dxf drawing on it's own. If you like to change anything in a drawing with QCAD then it is only possible with human intervention.
QCAD is also not able to change settings in other programs. With other words - it doesn't takes anything over.

Howsoever - something went wrong. Maybe we can isolate the problem.

Which QCAD version you are using on which operation system?

Can you attache a dxf drawing what shows the issue?
Thanks Husky
I’m having problems login on my Desktop, once I get it to except the login I will post the DFX file
Thanks again

plasma
Registered Member

Post by plasma » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:25 pm

I'm Sorry I accused Qcad for taking over my DXF files, I'm thinking it was the downloaded DXF file and not Qcad, here is the error messages I'm getting in Inkscape, when I saw convert with Qcad I thought it had something to do with Qcad.
polly_1.png
polly_1.png (12.21 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
polly_2.png
polly_2.png (12.2 KiB) Viewed 5470 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Ok, that is definitive an Inkscape issue and because this is the QCAD forum we can't help you much with that.

Howsoever - try to load this test drawing which is a simple rectangle. Tell me how it works.
rectangle R13.dxf
(60.22 KiB) Downloaded 329 times

Question: Why is Inkscape in your tool chain? It is a graphics editor and not really designed for precision cad work. Yes I know - you can bend it to work with dxf but that is the same like the use of a flat screwdriver instead of a chisel where the chisel would be the tool to go ....

Sheetcam is able to read dxf directly. Why not just using QCAD to prepare the dxf and send it then directly to Sheetcam which can create the G-Code for your cnc?
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

plasma
Registered Member

Post by plasma » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:09 am

Husky wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:27 pm
Ok, that is definitive an Inkscape issue and because this is the QCAD forum we can't help you much with that.

Howsoever - try to load this test drawing which is a simple rectangle. Tell me how it works.

rectangle R13.dxf

Question: Why is Inkscape in your tool chain? It is a graphics editor and not really designed for precision cad work. Yes I know - you can bend it to work with dxf but that is the same like the use of a flat screwdriver instead of a chisel where the chisel would be the tool to go ....

Sheetcam is able to read dxf directly. Why not just using QCAD to prepare the dxf and send it then directly to Sheetcam which can create the G-Code for your cnc?
Thank You Husky
Works great in Sheet cam, just for the h**l of it I imported it to Inkscape and the error box came up again, so Inkscape is the problem.
I'm a year into CNC plasma cutting and it's been a year of trying to set up a plasma table given to my Brother, with Smooth Stepper motors, BOB, Mach3 AND 4, settled on Mach3. Then my Brother bought a complete system 4x4 CNC machine.
In the time before he bought the 4x4 CNC machine I had become familiar with Inkscape , Sheetcam and Mach3 But I still have a lot to learn.
Why am I not using Qcad, some of the DXF files when loaded in to Sheetcam are way to large so I have tried reducing in Inkscape, I have tried Cad programs in the past and it looked like Rocket Science to me, Qcad looks the same way to me, but I will have to learn it with the help of YouTube if I'm going to get anywhere.
Again I'm SORRY for claiming Qcad took over my files, just plain Ignorance on my part.
Ron

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 pm

Ok, here my thoughts on that:
plasma wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:09 am
Thank You Husky
Works great in Sheet cam, just for the h**l of it I imported it to Inkscape and the error box came up again, so Inkscape is the problem.
Great - good to know :wink:
plasma wrote:
I'm a year into CNC plasma cutting and it's been a year of trying to set up a plasma table given to my Brother, with Smooth Stepper motors, BOB, Mach3 AND 4, settled on Mach3. Then my Brother bought a complete system 4x4 CNC machine.
Sounds like an adequate setup. :D
plasma wrote:
... I had become familiar with Inkscape
I believe Inkscape is a good program but not the appropriate software for what you are looking for. Yes, I understand that everybody of us likes to stick to that what we are familiar with but Inkscape is the weak link in your plan.
plasma wrote:
... I have tried Cad programs in the past and it looked like Rocket Science to me
No, it isn't Rocket Science but I agree that it can be confusing for every CAD beginner. Howsoever, CAD is the way to go and I don't really care if you choose QCAD or one of the many other CAD Programs. It just has to be a CAD program what suits your needs ...

I decided to use QCAD because it is straight forward, intuitive to learn and has an excellent cost-benefit ratio. It took me years to make the decision to switch from my "familiar" CAD software to QCAD. I paid 200 (not a typo!) times as much for my old software compared to the price for QCAD Pro e_confused
plasma wrote:
... Qcad looks the same way to me, but I will have to learn it with the help of YouTube if I'm going to get anywhere.
Youtube is a good idea and additional I would recommend to browse this forum. Here are already a lot of common question answered what makes it easier to navigate QCAD. If you can't find an answer please feel free to post your question - we are here to help.
plasma wrote:
Again I'm SORRY for claiming Qcad took over my files, just plain Ignorance on my part.
Accepted :D

Return to “Chat”