General Coordinate format not used

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

CVH
Premier Member

General Coordinate format not used

Post by CVH » Thu May 17, 2018 11:18 pm

About the Aplication Prefs / General: Coordinate Settings
Never noticed but the QCAD 3.20.1 UI does not format the number as set in the prefs.
See pic settings and UI lower left screen.
Several posts and Bug reports but not that actual.

And that scrips do not reflect this unless they use string formatting.
eg. numberToString

And about the Drawing Prefs / Dimension: Dimension Settings
Is it correct to state that drawings made with a different number format in the past stay that way?
Likely intended behaviour.

Kind Regards
Attachments
General format.png
sreengrab
General format.png (82.49 KiB) Viewed 7177 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: General Coordinate format not used

Post by andrew » Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 pm

CVH wrote:About the Aplication Prefs / General: Coordinate Settings
Never noticed but the QCAD 3.20.1 UI does not format the number as set in the prefs.
I cannot reproduce the problem with the semicolon. Did you click OK in the dialog to apply the settings first?

If you are referring to the decimal point, this is a setting that is also stored in your drawing document. As the two settings can be conflicting, the document setting overrides the application preference: Edit > Drawing Preferences > Dimension > Dimension Settings > Decimal separator
CVH wrote:And that scrips do not reflect this unless they use string formatting.
eg. numberToString
Correct. Formatting is done in numberToString, coordinateToString, angleToString, etc.
CVH wrote:And about the Drawing Prefs / Dimension: Dimension Settings
Is it correct to state that drawings made with a different number format in the past stay that way?
Likely intended behaviour.
Yes, these settings are stored in the drawing.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: General Coordinate format not used

Post by CVH » Sat May 19, 2018 12:54 am

Andrew,
The Application Prefs / General: Coordinate Settings are as they are set so after the day I first installed QCAD.
I can remember it suited me that I could change these to locally.
Tried changing them, saved and reloaded QCAD a couple times before I took the screenshot.
I usually try a buch of things, read documentation, and search the forum, the bugtracker and the feature request before reporting.

And no, I understand the difference between 'General: Coordinate Settings' and the 'Dimension: Dimension Settings'.
For 'Defaults for new drawings: Dimension Settings' the red text is hard to miss.
About the persistence in existing drawings I asked on the fly because I encountered this in extern documents.

The QCAD UI shows points for Decimal Point and commas for Coordinate Seperator in all the relevant fields with the settings as showed in the screenshot.

edit>
Went to dark Theme, but reverted back; Coordinate Seperator swaps in the UI now.
end edit<

You comfirmed my other presumption.
Pitty NumberToString doesn't work in dumpPoly, found it relies on library.js and I have no copy or I am doing something completely wrong.

Thanks.

Return to “Chat”