Paper_Space and Viewports

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

slyde

Paper_Space and Viewports

Post by slyde » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:19 am

I just bought the QCAD eBook. Thoroughly covered tool usage. Thanks.

Suggestion: Cover Paper_Space and Viewports in the same vein, from a true beginner's perspective, and thread it into the eBook.

I tried learning paper_space and viewports from here, but that didn't do it for me. So I bought the eBook. And although there's nothing in it regarding paper_space and viewports, I'm hoping there soon will be. Learning how to use this technology is the main reason I got the eBook. I believe the e-mail link for it is valid for one year. So I hope I'll have time.

Thanks for the tremendous work on QCAD. I look forward to learning all it has to offer.

Slyde
Look! It's a bird. No! It's a plane! NO! It's QCAD hotkeys...faster than a possum falling out of a tree!!

QCAD Pro 3.19.2.0 [64-bit]

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Paper_Space and Viewports

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am

Thanks for your feedback. Layouts and viewports were only very recently added to QCAD. When the tools stabilize, a brief section to introduce them might be added to the book.

Please note that the book is targeting beginners though and therefore focuses on essential, fundamental concepts. I would consider layouts and viewports to be advanced, non-essential concepts.

slyde

Post by slyde » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 am

And thank you for thanking me for my feedback, Andrew. Here's more:

While you may consider the concepts of layouts and viewports to be advanced and non-essential, beyond the scope of a beginner's book, I've patronized your product and have every intention of continued patronage. That said, I don't mind paying more so that I can have a full grasp of these concepts, even if you consider them non-essential. I'm trying hard to learn what you're selling. And my learning curve just got compounded knowing some of its inner workings might remain a mystery due to a non-essential declaration.
Look! It's a bird. No! It's a plane! NO! It's QCAD hotkeys...faster than a possum falling out of a tree!!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:05 am

I understand. Unfortunately, these are choices I have to make, given that as a one-man-band my time and resources are limited. I would love to spend more time on documentation but simply can't at this point.

If you are willing to pay more for more or better support or documentation, you might indeed want to look into alternatives backed by larger enterprises such as Autocad with 1000s of books available which describe every single aspect of the product in great detail from beginners to professional and programming. I'm of course happy to offer you a full refund for both software and e-book, should you decide to go that route, no hard feelings :wink:

slyde

Post by slyde » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:21 am

What drew me to your product wasn't its low cost. What attracted me to it was its ease of use. Well thought out. I've used autocad. I'm like menno: I liked autocad's command line interface. But QCAD's faster than that! A lot more efficient with its hotkeys. No, Andrew. I don't think I'll switch to that or anything else. And even if I did, I wldn't ask for a refund :-) I just want to know how to use the layouts and viewports that come with QCAD. You probably cldve explained that to me in the same effort it took to make this exchange :-)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:29 am

Right. If you can tell me in more detail where this post or the linked documentation falls short, I will try to fix:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5170

slyde

Post by slyde » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 am

That's frustrating :D

I tried this a dozen times or more. I cldnt make A connect to B to save my life! And I did it the first time I tried.
Screenshot from 2017-12-07 04-38-30.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-07 04-38-30.png (204.93 KiB) Viewed 8960 times
I have no idea WHY I cldnt make this work before. That's what had me upset. Every try was a failed attempt. And then when I complain abt it, this is what I get :-)

So this is just a little something extra for page print setup? A way to place parts on the page? Is that it?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 am

slyde wrote:So this is just a little something extra for page print setup? A way to place parts on the page? Is that it?
Yes.

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Hello Slyde,

May I ask please what industry, field of work are you using QCAD for please?

Many thanks

Clive
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

slyde

Post by slyde » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi Clive:

I'll be using QCAD for large concrete underground manholes and concrete sections. Most of this is for running wire and piping. I still have a couple months before I'm officially on the clock, so I'm using this time to get to know QCAD inside and out.

Slyde

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”