Layout (paper space) Questions / Suggestions

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Clive

Layout (paper space) Questions / Suggestions

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:26 pm

This kind of splits between two forum sections really as there are questions and suggestions, but I'll post here as it is probably more relevant.

When looking in the block list there is provision for 'Layout 1' and 'Layout 2'.
Please clarify why these are here - I understand that somehow they are for importing paper sheets/layouts from other software ?

It seems that I can work in layout 1 or 2 and all seems fine until I save and reopen the file, then the data is missing from either one of the layouts or both - why?

I can see huge potential with these layouts -

If it were possible to add more layouts and be able to draw in them, almost like extra model-spaces if you like and be able to save the layout and re-open without problems then I think we have the makings of paper spaces to use - they would be useful to set up templates and title blocks, text, dimensions etc. ready for printing?

Andrew, is this doable and would it work?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Clive

Re: Layout (paper space) Questions / Suggestions

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Still experimenting with this, when drawing in layout 1 or 2 it seems I am working in a 'block space' is this correct?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Clive wrote:When looking in the block list there is provision for 'Layout 1' and 'Layout 2'.
Technically speaking, the *Paper_Space block(s) are special blocks which have a layout attached to them (additional information for printing). These paper space blocks can also contain viewports (windows to the main drawing if you want).
Clive wrote:It seems that I can work in layout 1 or 2 and all seems fine until I save and reopen the file, then the data is missing from either one of the layouts or both - why?
That shouldn't be the case (and isn't here). Can you attach your drawing file? Thanks.

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:23 pm

andrew wrote:That shouldn't be the case (and isn't here). Can you attach your drawing file? Thanks.
Seems fine now, thanks.

So am I correct in thinking that if I add an empty block and set up a particular drawing in it - template, drawing with annotation etc I could work on it in exactly the same way as working in model space and save it and print out from there - the block space ?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Clive wrote:So am I correct in thinking that if I add an empty block and set up a particular drawing in it - template, drawing with annotation etc I could work on it in exactly the same way as working in model space and save it and print out from there - the block space ?
You can print blocks, yes.
However, QCAD currently only stores one set of global printer settings (position, paper size, scale, etc). So changing your printer settings when printing one block would always affect the printing of all blocks, likely in an undesired way.

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:41 pm

andrew wrote:You can print blocks, yes.
However, QCAD currently only stores one set of global printer settings (position, paper size, scale, etc). So changing your printer settings when printing one block would always affect the printing of all blocks, likely in an undesired way.
All understood, it seems fine with printing to PDF?

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:46 pm

What I am trying to achieve here is to create another working environment within the same file for the purpose of setting up different drawings / layouts for printing - instead of having to create a new file for this. Sometimes there can be a lot of drawings in modelspace!

Any suggestions?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:47 pm

There is currently no easy / automatic way to achieve this with QCAD.

Note that this is not a trivial issue as far as user interface / usability is concerned given the fact that many users are struggling with the very simple, basic single block printing mechanism QCAD has at the moment.

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Okay thanks Andrew, yes of course fully understood.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”