boolean

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

robjuda

boolean

Post by robjuda » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:10 am

Hello,
Is it possibel to use boolean operations, such as add and subtract on polygons?

Clive

Re: boolean

Post by Clive » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:12 pm

QCAD is a 2D only CAD program.

Boolean operations are used in solid modelling applications either as part of a program which offers 2D drawing and some basic 3D solid modelling tools or in the more advanced 3D only modellers!

Working in one plane only (2D) there is available a very comprehensive set of modifying/editing tools for trimming or breaking/cutting out parts of the drawing elements that are not needed.

Please provide an example/attach a file that we may be able to better to support you and give you the best advice for what you need to achieve with your drawing.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

robjuda

Post by robjuda » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:46 pm

for instance.. i have a lot of overlapping rings, and want them to join to make one object, it wouldbe nice to have a boolean "add shape". Selecting all rings and use the boolean function..
That was the question. I know you can trim etc. but it is much more time consuming.

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:48 am

Hi RobJuda
Could you break out parts of the overlapping rings on a small section first and then copy and paste the rest in place?
Using the create poly lines from segments tool could be used to create a continuous poly line.

If you are able to attach an example we could understand and better help you.

Are you creating paths for CAM work?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

robjuda

Post by robjuda » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:44 am

Hi,
I just downloaded the last update, and my question is aswered by the new polyline/offset! Instead of drawing rings, i draw the circles, then select all, offset the circles to both sides and then remove the original circles. Works realy very great!! And also very good to draw double lines!
Great update!!

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:47 am

Fantastic, glad you sorted it out :D

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”