crosshatching

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

petert
Newbie Member

crosshatching

Post by petert » Fri May 06, 2022 5:07 pm

Hello,
New user and first time posting.

I am having difficulty crosshatching. I use QCAD Pro on Mac Monterrey 12.3.1.

I can solid fill with colors but cannot see any of the hatching designs. I am designing watch parts and they are small. I thought it might have to do with the scaling but have tried lots of scales with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good weekend,

Peter

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: crosshatching

Post by ryancousins » Fri May 06, 2022 5:19 pm

My first guess would be that the scale is set such that you're only seeing the empty space between the lines of the hatch. But that's just a guess. Can you upload a DXF/DWG file?

petert
Newbie Member

Post by petert » Wed May 11, 2022 3:59 pm

Thanks for the response, Ryan.

I have played with the scaling, going in both directions incrementally without luck. As mentioned, I am able to do solid fill. I created a large shape next to the technical drawing and tried to crosshatch that but had no luck.

I attached the a dxf of the drawing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
escapement elevation.dxf
(298.68 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Wed May 11, 2022 5:00 pm

Thank you for the file. I'm assuming your issue is with adding a hatch pattern to the small geometry, not the larger circle? If so, one thing that I notice is there are at least a few spots where you have line segments directly on top of one another. This will cause hatching to fail. If you hover over line segments, you can see the color change slightly for the nearest object to your mouse pointer. This is one way to see that you have some extra lines. I've attached a pic of one example. You can also drag to create a selection window and in the property editor, it will give you a count of how many objects you have selected. This is another way to detect extra geometry. There is also at least one spot where there is a gap. You have to have a fully closed shape for hatching to work. I have attached an example. When you try to add a hatch, you should get a notification in the command line that shows the coordinates of any gaps it finds. It will also display a small animated circle around that area. You can press the hatching button a few times until your eyes can pick out that animation. As long as I didn't have any gaps or overlapping lines, I was able to add a hatch. I had to make the scale pretty small on the brick pattern I tested. I'm sure the brick pattern isn't what you'd use for this but whatever you use would likely need an equally small scale.
Attachments
gap.png
gap.png (11.74 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
overlapping.png
overlapping.png (10.49 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
hatch.png
hatch.png (21.46 KiB) Viewed 4105 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed May 11, 2022 8:51 pm

Hi,
petert wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 3:59 pm
As mentioned, I am able to do solid fill.
the requirements for a solid fill or a hatch pattern are the same. If you are able to create a solid fill then you should be also able to create a Hatch Pattern with a corresponding scale. For this example I used a scale of 0.05.

Husky-2022.05.11-01.png
Husky-2022.05.11-01.png (29.49 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

petert
Newbie Member

Post by petert » Fri May 13, 2022 3:11 pm

Hello,

Thanks to the two of you for your time.

I followed your advice about closing loops. I was able to solid fill but still not crosshatch. I copied your scaling and still had no luck.

The problem was apparently that I had left the angle blank. When I filled it with a 0, the crosshatching appeared.

Thanks again and have a good weekend,

Peter

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri May 13, 2022 3:26 pm

petert wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:11 pm
The problem was apparently that I had left the angle blank.
I would consider that as a flaw and would report this at BugTracker.
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker

I also recall a post on an issue with an empty scale value too ... :(

Regards,
CVH

Return to “Chat”