can't complete new text entry

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Carl
Newbie Member

can't complete new text entry

Post by Carl » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:25 am

I'm in Ver 3.25.2 (linux mint) - I guess this is a "newbie goof" - BUT - just now, I was updating the text to put on ref diagram. - Things were working fine for the last few hours, then suddenly, as I tried to finish the text new entry -- a NEW x-y grid line appeared (gold colored) & the text "11<326 ... and ... "GRID" suddenly appeared ... ?? ... Thus, I can't finish the entry of the "new text string" on the drawing -&- as just entered into the associated text box ... WHAT ? ... a screen shot (pdf) is attached - I saved the work, closed / reopened QCAD - to no avail. Then I closed QCAD again & shut down Linux for a "cold re-boot" - to no avail ... ??? ... any comments? ... Carl
Attachments
Bug Screenshot 08Feb21.pdf
(158.64 KiB) Downloaded 414 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: can't complete new text entry

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:17 am

Please do attach your drawing file as well as a screenshot, so we can help you efficiently, thanks.

Carl
Newbie Member

Post by Carl » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:02 pm

... let's see if this pdf sticks to this email response ... I tried to get this pdf to "stick" 2X before ... & thought it was attached ...

ALSO - somehow - ??? - last night, when this cursor "changed", when working, I tried to get a different view of this problem & see what was going on when trying to draw parallel lines. I typically use the "std cross hair" cursor. - Well, w/ parallel lines - I entered the distance ... & then selected the subject line to then create a NEW parallel line. The subject line went gray, BUT ... the "ghost image" for the new parallel line does NOT appear ... weird ... Carl

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:16 pm

Please refer to this forum to learn how to attach files to your forum posts:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3760

Carl
Newbie Member

Post by Carl » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:23 pm

yes --- I've done that 3X times now ... ??? ... attached is a 4th try on the attachment - ???? - before I hit submit, I do check to again to see that the subject pdf file (159 kb) is indeed in the attachment box ... ?? ... Carl

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:36 pm

You can also e-mail us the file. I will attach it to your post for you.

PS: I've attached your PDF to your first post.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Carl wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:25 am
NEW x-y grid line appeared (gold colored) & the text "11<326 ... and ... "GRID" suddenly appeared ... ??
The yellow crosshair appears when you need to specify a position. Its intersection is at the position you are currently using / snapping to. For example an end point, an intersection or when it says "Grid" next to it, indeed, a grid point.

The text "11<326º" indicates the distance and angle from the relative zero point. You've probably accidentally enabled this cursor information by hitting F8. Simply hit F8 again until that text disappears. Be sure to move the mouse to see the effect.

So this is all as it should be.

What I didn't quite understand from your post is if you are actually able to create the text by clicking a position or not. What happens if you simply click somewhere to try and place the text in your drawing?

Carl
Newbie Member

Post by Carl » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:07 pm

Thanks for your patience ... I enter text in the "draw-text" data entry box - standard procedure - then click OK - THEN, that "GOLD GRID" appears, but I can't enter text @ the selected spot ... ? - no text entry at anywhere. ... I pressed the F8 function key - many times - as suggested - but to not avial

... On another note - I'm searching for an index to the Function Keys - (even did a google search) - but so far - no luck ... All this happened last night as I was working away on the subject drawing, -- It's reasonble to say that the cause was some type of typo - Carl

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:34 pm

Carl wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:07 pm
THEN, that "GOLD GRID" appears, but I can't enter text @ the selected spot ... ?
The "gold grid" is simply the cross hairs, the cursor that shows what position you are working with.

The text is entered in the text dialog, not in the drawing area. So when you start the text tool, you can enter the text into the text dialog as shown here. In this example, we enter the text "Text does here...":
Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 20.05.24.png
Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 20.05.24.png (148.89 KiB) Viewed 9595 times
After clicking OK, you now get to position the text. For this step, the yellow crosshair is shown. It indicates the exact position where you are about to place the text. This is different from the mouse cursor (the small, black and white crosshair). In this example, the text would be placed at exactly the closest grid point:
Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 20.05.35.png
Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 20.05.35.png (18.81 KiB) Viewed 9595 times
If you still have troubles using this tool, please indicate which step is the problem. If for example, no text appears after clicking OK in the text dialog, you are likely trying to draw onto an invisible or locked layer. If you click, you will get an appropriate warning in the command line history of QCAD. That's just a wild guess though, as I do not have your DXF drawing here. Perhaps you could try to attach that.

Carl
Newbie Member

Post by Carl » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:42 pm

Well, I just NOW UNLOCKED all layers -&- just added "AVE G" to the map (I was only working on ONE layer anyway -&- also NOW can add new parallel lines) - See attached dxf file of the W-i-P. - I have NO IDEA why layer was NOT avail @ that moment ... ?? ..

Last night, I was in progress "working in the zone" on this "map" & was working on the drawing hours before the "freeze" - ?? ...

... I don't use QCAD every day. Today & for the past several months (even before the ver update) when entering text, when entering a new font size via this same text-entry screen, the program FREEZES-UP for several min IF I put the cursor in the right side of the box -& then hit backapace to try to clear out the former (say) "8" (font size) to then try & enter a new "7" (rev size).

It just sits there & I can't do ANYTHING - this is a pain - I usually just wait it out - it's clear up (or something) to then go back to work ... BUT, as a workaround (when I remember it), I enter the cursor in the LEFT side of this box, enter a new font size, then clear out the "old" font size. ... I'm working here on a new Lenovo laptop w/ 8G of ram & a 2 TB external SDD. ... Thanks for the help ...
Attachments
Lancaster Sites -Ave F10 5 Ac 08Feb21 AIM.dxf
(192.59 KiB) Downloaded 404 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:49 pm

Carl wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:42 pm
... I don't use QCAD every day. Today & for the past several months (even before the ver update) when entering text, when entering a new font size via this same text-entry screen, the program FREEZES-UP for several min IF I put the cursor in the right side of the box -& then hit backapace to try to clear out the former (say) "8" (font size) to then try & enter a new "7" (rev size).
Unfortunately, this is a known problem under some Linux installation. We don't know why this is happening but it seems to be related to one or several installed fonts and is not reproducible on a newly installed Linux.

Return to “Chat”