What do people use QCAD for?

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

spectric

Re: What do people use QCAD for?

Post by spectric » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi all

I am using Qcad for several task: one is to redo all my drawings done in Excel of my house renovation into proper layered technical drawings, I also use it to produce drawings of profiles that can be made on a router table as library components which can then be assembled in a drawing in order to visualise the finished product and anything else that I want to keep accurate data for, remember a drawing can replace a thousand words.

all the best Roy

DaysonPrio
Newbie Member

Post by DaysonPrio » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:02 pm

I work in the field of 2D and 3D architectural design, mainly with AutoCAD and Artec software.

It looks like I'm not the only one who tried LibreCAD at first and switched to QCAD then. And I have to say I'm glad about a more polished drawing interface, a dark theme of the program and I am happy with the expanding feature set. Well done, thanks for your work.

Best regards.

Eugor

Post by Eugor » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:10 am

I use have used autocad 2010 LT and have previously used R14 to generate architectural submittal drawings for div 8 and 10 materials ranging from toilet compartments, HM frames, Cubical curtains, room signage, and such for the better part of 30 years. I am trying to transition to QCAD to fulfill that need. I have tried LibreCad, BRL cad, TurboCad etc and have found them all lacking. The only thing I struggle with on QCAD is the learning curve to accomplish the same goal I achieve with Autocad. The functionality is there, the staff support is there, It is just a personal learning curve of differences between the two. I am excited about learning QCAD as I feel it is equal or surpassing autocad. I will just be a needy fellow in the forum until I grasp the differences and nuance of qcad

IanVG
Newbie Member

Post by IanVG » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:29 pm

I am using QCAD for drawings schematics of rainwater harvesting systems.

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:11 am

I'm not -- and have never been -- a CAD pro* but have used QCAD at home for about four years. For anything above a trivial level, it's easier to draw it up in QCAD than by hand. The hardest part is remembering what I forgot since the last time I used it!! :lol:

* In my first career I used vector-based illustration software as a graphic designer (CorelDRAW, etc.) before moving to IT 24 years ago (now retired!). Although not CAD, there's the possibility of a similarly-disciplined approach and a bit of overlap in terms of the ability to be precise and repeatable.

Here's a sample - I drew up the primary mirror cell (i.e. holder) from my 12" Dobsonian style astronomical telescope. I'm evaluating modifying the cell a bit and quantifying where it is now in QCAD makes possible modifications clearer. This drawing isn't complete in all aspects, but it's just for me and I know what bits are missing. Fortunately I'm not held to any corporate nor industry standards!

Len
QCAD Pro

gandalf

Post by gandalf » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:17 pm

I have been a QCAD user for something over 12 years. Mostly for personal use in my wood shop. Heaviest use was during 2008 when I remodelled our kitchen and building the cabinets. Wish I could have generated a cut list!
Attachments
kitchen.dxf
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 1185 times

Papy Octet

Post by Papy Octet » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:19 pm

Bonjour.

J'utilise QCad pour de nombreuse action : dessiner les plans de petites constructions en bois pour mes petits-enfants (reproduction de jouets anciens).

Mais mon utilisation principale concerne le dessin de patrons de tissage pour la dentelle aux fuseaux ;-) en association avec Inkscape ;-)

A+
Debian 10 - Qcad-Prof 3.19.0.0

billvt
Registered Member

Post by billvt » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:31 pm

I am running Qcad 3.27.7 on Windows 11
My business is CNC fabricating aluminum instrument panels for aircraft.
I use Qcad for the panel layouts and then feed the output DXF file to the CAM software that generates the tool paths for my CNC machine.

Regards,
Bill from Vermont - USA

Uli

Post by Uli » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:14 pm

good evening, I use qcad professional for importing files from customers. Files are prepared and analyzed for export to my cam section to run a big cnc milling machine that cuts the carbon plates we are producing. I‘m new into this program but I already like it and also I like this forum 👌
Attachments
IMG_2702.jpeg
IMG_2702.jpeg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 46189 times
52295f5b-9bf1-4b23-bb14-901175216925.jpeg
52295f5b-9bf1-4b23-bb14-901175216925.jpeg (122.48 KiB) Viewed 46189 times
IMG_3046.jpeg
IMG_3046.jpeg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 46189 times
IMG_3050.jpeg
IMG_3050.jpeg (3.65 MiB) Viewed 46189 times
IMG_3051.jpeg
IMG_3051.jpeg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 46189 times

Return to “Chat”