Drawings in paper space from older version have gone missing!

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

TOGoS
Newbie Member

Drawings in paper space from older version have gone missing!

Post by TOGoS » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi, sorry if this question is dumb! I have done some searching by google and on this forum and have found no hints.

I upgraded to QCAD Professional 3.25.2 today. I went to open a drawing from yesterday and...there's nothing in paper space! My other blocks appear to all be there. I wondered if this was something about the pro version treating paper space blocks differently (I'm used to just treating them as another block to dump stuff in, but googling about my problem says something about viewports, which sounds interesting and I want to learn about that, but in the meantime what happened to my drawing), so I downgraded to 3.52.2 Community edition, and still my drawing is gone.

The amount of time I've spent trying to figure out what happened is already greater than it would have taken to recreate the thing, but I'm kind of frustrated that my data has become inaccessible, y'know. Attached is the drawing I was working on, a screenshot showing nothing in *Paper_Space (*Paper_Space0 is similarly empty), and a PDF that I exported last night (one page at a time, because community edition) showing what had been in paper space.

Attachments
WSTYPE-100364-v1.pdf
(522.67 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
WSTYPE-100364.dxf
(52.42 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
PaperSpaceIsEmpty.png
PaperSpaceIsEmpty.png (119.4 KiB) Viewed 6317 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Drawings in paper space from older version have gone missing!

Post by Husky » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:29 pm

Hi TOGoS,

unfortunately I can't find anything in Model or Paper_Space either. Was that drawing designed with a QCAD trial or QCAD community version? In that case an update to Pro would not change anything in that drawing. If it was designed with an other CAD software the chance is pretty slim that QCAD can't read it properly but to be sure we need to see the dxf produced by that software.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

TOGoS
Newbie Member

Post by TOGoS » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Husky wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:29 pm
Was that drawing designed with a QCAD trial or QCAD community version? In that case an update to Pro would not change anything in that drawing. If it was designed with an other CAD software the chance is pretty slim that QCAD can't read it properly but to be sure we need to see the dxf produced by that software.
It was an earlier version of QCAD, the edition that I got by downloading from https://qcad.org/en/download and then removing some plugins. Unfortunately I don't know exactly which version, but I probably downloaded it in late 2019.

I noticed my paper space block being empty in other drawings also (such as this also attached one)[1], lending evidence to my hypothesis that it's not just my imagination, but that something really did change between versions.

[1] An understatement. I cannot find anything in paper space in *any* of my existing drawings.
Attachments
WSTYPE-4102-WL-875.dxf
(47.16 KiB) Downloaded 389 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:24 pm

Ok, here my test with the actual CE and Pro versions.

CE: New drawing, placed entities in Model_Space, placed entities in Paper_Space. Saved
Pro: Opened that drawing, Model_Space OK, Paper_Space empty!
Would that reflect your workflow?

Unfortunately I can't help you with that. Maybe Andrew (the developer) can bring more light into this issue.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

TOGoS
Newbie Member

Post by TOGoS » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:27 pm

Husky wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:24 pm
Ok, here my test with the actual CE and Pro versions.

CE: New drawing, placed entities in Model_Space, placed entities in Paper_Space. Saved
Pro: Opened that drawing, Model_Space OK, Paper_Space empty!
Would that reflect your workflow?

Unfortunately I can't help you with that. Maybe Andrew (the developer) can bring more light into this issue.
That's about right! Though in the cases where I used paper space I often put nothing in model space at all (my common use case is to create 1:1 designs to print out, glue to a board, and use as a guide for drilling/cutting).

TOGoS
Newbie Member

Post by TOGoS » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:47 pm

On another computer I still have QCAD 3.19.2.0 (3.19.2) Community Edition, and all my old Paper_Space/Paper_Space0s appear empty when opened in that, also. So this may be a Barenstein Bears situation where I *swore* i put something in Paper_Space in at least /some/ of those files, but actually did not, or it may be that the version I saved those files with had a bug that prevented the Paper_Space blocks from saving. I have no hard evidence either way.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:16 pm

TOGoS,
Husky (moderator) already confirmed your problem.
Please file a bug report at: https://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/

You'll need to make a supplemental account for this.
It may be handy if you refer to this topic. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”