Cyrillic font problem

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

Yarra
Registered Member

Cyrillic font problem

Post by Yarra » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:14 am

Hello.
I use QCAD Community Edition v 3.24.2.0 in Centos 7.7

I have trouble with instrument "Size": if i try to set mark in russian i see symbol "?" insteads of letters:
ksnip_20200127-121154.png
ksnip_20200127-121154.png (2.4 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
English text as mark is displayed correctly

But plaint text is displayed correctly. It's a bug? Or may be it's bug of font and i can to change font somewhere in settings?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Cyrillic font problem

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:42 am

Moved topic to QCAD Community Edition forum.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:33 am

Hi,
Yarra wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:14 am
English text as mark is displayed correctly

But plaint text is displayed correctly. It's a bug? Or may be it's bug of font and i can to change font somewhere in settings?
It looks like the used font in the Community Edition is not able to interpret the used characters (question mark means missing font character). That is not a QCAD bug - just a limitation of the default CE used font.

Unfortunately there is no practical solution to fix that with the CE edition. Only exploding the dim and changing the font in the Property Editor will solve the display issue. But you will lose the dim functionality ...

The QCAD Pro edition has a setting to change the used font to what ever is needed. But that is the paid version ... :(
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Yarra
Registered Member

Post by Yarra » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:51 am

Husky wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:33 am
It looks like the used font in the Community Edition is not able to interpret the used characters (question mark means missing font character). That is not a QCAD bug - just a limitation of the default CE used font.

Unfortunately there is no practical solution to fix that with the CE edition. Only exploding the dim and changing the font in the Property Editor will solve the display issue. But you will lose the dim functionality ...

The QCAD Pro edition has a setting to change the used font to what ever is needed. But that is the paid version ... :(
Hi, thanks for you answer. If i understand right in trial version it would work. I install trial version, but cannot find property for this option. I cannot find it at the Settings and at the Property editor. Where it may be?

FitEyes
Registered Member

Post by FitEyes » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:23 pm

There are no Cyriltic letters (I tested this using OTMaster Light) in the Thonburi and Thonburi Bold fonts as shown on the list. That is why cyrillic characters are shown with a fallback font, which typically stands for Times New Roman.

Select "EXPERT" and in "Subsetting" then select "Custom Subsetting" and the correct languages or the "No Subsetting" to create appropriate font files using custom font (cursive text) generator. The default in "Simple Subsetting" which contains only "Western languages!"

P.S. The question was first asked as Font not displaying correctly in cyrillic on some occasions, which was closed as “too localized”. So I have copied my answer and an added comment.
P.S.2. The reason why it works for you at home is that the CSS code contains

Code: Select all

src: local(Thonburi), url("fonts/thonburi-webfont.ttf")
giving preference to a locally installed font, which apparently contains Cyrillic letters too.

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”