How to split a project into multiple files

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

massimo

How to split a project into multiple files

Post by massimo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:22 pm

Hello,
I'm using the 3.22.1.0 community version.

Is it possible to split a project to multiple files, like exporting blocks into separate files?
I'm creating a big planview of our garden/land/plot with a plan view of some new buildings and garden projects.
I'm going to put almost every building and piece into blocks, even if I only use them once.

Now for the front building plans of one of the building, I'm able to repeat the block and create another block side by side for the front and side projection. I do this because the front projection does not fit in the large plan view projection from above.
But this means that I have several paintings in the same file. For printing I put a new description frame around every painting. But I need to reset the printing area every time I print the plan view or the projection view of a single building. The file is growing after I do that with the several projects I start in the planview, which I also need projection views for.
Having all in one file is going to make QCad slow either.
So any idea how to split this into multiple files? Is the only way to create my own library? I would guess as a feature, that if I reference a block from an external file, it gets updates when the external file changes.

Best regards.
Community Version 3.28.2.0, Gentoo Linux on amd64

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How to split a project into multiple files

Post by Husky » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi,
massimo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:22 pm
Hello,
I'm using the 3.22.1.0 community version.
I moved the topic to the community edition sub forum :wink:
massimo wrote:
Is it possible to split a project to multiple files ...
Yes - manually. What do you think about how many files are needed?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

massimo

Post by massimo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:52 pm

I meant, if it is possible to have the blocks in separated files and included in other files?
Currently I need to have all views and also all detailed block views in one big file, in order to re-use blocks in different views.
Community Version 3.28.2.0, Gentoo Linux on amd64

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:40 pm

massimo wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:52 pm
I meant, if it is possible to have the blocks in separated files and included in other files?
Yes - that would be the idea of an item library.
massimo wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:52 pm
Currently I need to have all views and also all detailed block views in one big file, in order to re-use blocks in different views.
That sounds like that using the library functionality isn't the solution for your case. ALL blocks are ONLY used in ONE drawing, correct?
massimo wrote:
But this means that I have several paintings in the same file. For printing I put a new description frame around every painting. But I need to reset the printing area every time I print the plan view or the projection view of a single building.
Layout Blocks with Viewport would be the solution but that is a QCAD Pro feature ...

massimo wrote:
So any idea how to split this into multiple files?
Just based on your description? No! We need the dxf or a screenshot to get a better idea of what you are doing ...
massimo wrote:
...to create my own library? I would guess as a feature, that if I reference a block from an external file, it gets updates when the external file changes.
No - library items inserted in a drawing are not anymore connected to the source.

BTW: What is the current file size of your drawing?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”