Seeing sizes in property panel

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

taholmes160
Registered Member

Seeing sizes in property panel

Post by taholmes160 » Mon May 29, 2023 8:08 pm

Hi folks

when I am importing an object into qcad, it sometimes does not come in scaled properly for what I am doing, So I would like to see its X and y dimensions, so I can figure out how much I need to scale it up or down. I know that I can use dimensions to see it, but it would be easier to see it on the property panel for the object.

Is this possible, or is it someplace else that I can access?

Thanks
TIM

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Seeing sizes in property panel

Post by CVH » Tue May 30, 2023 5:45 am

Tim,
Welcome to the forum.
taholmes160 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:08 pm
when I am importing an object into qcad, it sometimes does not come in scaled properly for what I am doing,
When importing (Ctrl+Shift+I) there is a bounding box around the objects but no size indication, the same with pasting (PS).
Both methods have a scale option listed in the Options Toolbar.
The reference point is the center of the box or a given reference for cut/copy with reference (RT/RC).

An improper scale may also be related to the fact that QCAD converts between drawing units.
If both drawing units are the same or one of them is 'None' the conversion scale is 1:1 otherwise it depends on the units.
Remark also that the scale factor option for importing is persistent between usage.

At present it is assumed that the user knows what the size is and what it will be in the other drawing.
I like the idea that there is a size indication associated with the bounding box. :idea:
Still, the box size can be less relevant with irregular shapes, things sticking out, ... or with text at the perimeter.

The best place to file a feature request is here: https://qcad.org/bugtracker/
One needs a separate account there or create a new one.
taholmes160 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:08 pm
I know that I can use dimensions to see it, but it would be easier to see it on the property panel for the object.
Apart from dimensions there are also the Info tools (WI).
The property panel or better the Property Editor (GP) only displays properties of selected drawing entities that already exist in the drawing.
On import or paste a preview is displayed, these new entities/objects are not yet part of the drawing nor are they selected. :wink:

I see a work around in importing as block (First checkbox option in the Options Toolbar).
After placement the block reference can be selected and scaled as required.
One can then explode (XP) the block reference back to the original but scaled entities and delete the block in the Block List (GB).

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”