Remove Dimension Line

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

KenD
Newbie Member

Remove Dimension Line

Post by KenD » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:33 pm

Debian Linux x86-64 QCAD Community 3.27.9.1

My apologies if this newbie question has been asked and answered but I couldn't find it: How to remove one dimension from a drawing?

In the course of making a drawing I placed some dimension lines and then I performed many other actions on that same drawing. I would now like to remove one of the dimension lines. I can't simply "undo" it because I would also have to undo the intervening actions. What is the best way to do this? Thank you.
It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Remove Dimension Line

Post by CVH » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:15 pm

Hi,
select the dimension entity in question.
Hit the delete key ... or the backspace key .. or type the shortcut ER .. or by the delete button .. or by menu Edit.

The same goes for a multiple selection.
This action can be undone too.

Regards,
CVH

KenD
Newbie Member

Post by KenD » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:00 pm

I did try the Select tool but it seems not to work consistently. I must not be using it correctly. I did try it again after your post by clicking on the arrow head of a dimension and it worked correctly. Much to learn :?
It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:17 am

KenD wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:00 pm
I did try the Select tool but it seems not to work consistently. I must not be using it correctly.
The selecting options of the Select menu should speak for themselves.
As with all/most QCAD tools keep an eye on the Options Toolbar for extra tool options.
Most important here are the selection modes and crossing or fully inside.
If you have problems with them then you might consider to post an additional question about a specific usage.

Selecting an entity is usually just left clicking near an entity.
In the Status Bar it would read 'Select entity or region' near the mouse icon.

Entity:
Left-click will select the entity that is the nearest to the indicated position.
With Shift+left-click one can add or remove entities to/from the selection.
With Alt+left-click one can choose between several entities that are near the indicated position.

Region:
One can also draw a selection window with holding down the left mouse button.
From left to right that will select all fully inside. It doesn't matter if it is drawn up or down.
From right to left all that are inside and those that cross the window are selected.

For the record: A dimension is one complete entity with text, arrows, dimension and extension lines.
It doesn't matter where exactly you click near it.
The entity that is the nearest to your mouse pointer should be highlighted (Except when ruled out in App.Prefs.)

Regards,
CVH

KenD
Newbie Member

Post by KenD » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:48 am

Thanks very much for the detailed advice :) I'll work on it some more tomorrow and will probably have more questions.

I have managed to get some simple drawings done with layers and dimensions so I am making progress. I was using an extremely simple, bare bones program called DeltaCAD. It is now defunct and I was feeling the need for something a little more robust anyway. With robustness comes a bit more complexity :)

Thanks again.

KenD
Newbie Member

Post by KenD » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:07 pm

I figured out one of my problems. I was mislead by the title of one of the selection options - (De)Select Contour. I hadn't realized what "Contour" referred to. I now have a better understanding of that and things are progressing more smoothly. Thanks again.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:19 pm

KenD wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:07 pm
I hadn't realized what "Contour" referred to.
It refers to 'All connected at endpoints'.
It can be a singular contour but that is certainly not always the case.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”