Toolpaths disappear when changing post processor

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

lagnat

Toolpaths disappear when changing post processor

Post by lagnat » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:21 pm

I've created a custom post processor, in my case to add a slight delay after spindle startup, but when I select my post processor all of the tools and tool paths disappear, and come back when I go back. Editing the existing post processor might work, but that's not usually advised.

On a related note, adding files to the application bundle (on MacOS) feels wrong. The MacOS paradigm would be to have a folder in ~/Library/Application Support. Any thoughts on that?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Toolpaths disappear when changing post processor

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:53 pm

lagnat wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:21 pm
I've created a custom post processor, in my case to add a slight delay after spindle startup, but when I select my post processor all of the tools and tool paths disappear, and come back when I go back. Editing the existing post processor might work, but that's not usually advised.
That's correct. Each post processor has its own tools and toolpaths so you can add toolpaths to the same drawing for different machines.

If you are comfortable with using a plain text editor, you could do a search / replace in the DXF file to change the post processor name for example from "GCodeMM" to "MyGCodeMM". Naturally, backup your file first.
lagnat wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:21 pm
On a related note, adding files to the application bundle (on MacOS) feels wrong. The MacOS paradigm would be to have a folder in ~/Library/Application Support. Any thoughts on that?
Yes, that would be an idea for a future improvement, thanks.

lagnat

Re: Toolpaths disappear when changing post processor

Post by lagnat » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:28 pm

andrew wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:53 pm
you could do a search / replace in the DXF file to change the post processor name
That worked, thanks! Another thought would be something in the property editor, similar to Layer, that lets you move objects between post processors.
andrew wrote:
Naturally, backup your file first.
Never!
andrew wrote:
Yes, that would be an idea for a future improvement, thanks.
I would think that you'll run into code signature issues otherwise, but this is off topic. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”