[solved] - Toolpath Skips Block

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Grafpaper
Newbie Member

[solved] - Toolpath Skips Block

Post by Grafpaper » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:00 pm

I created a drawing of boxes; each box is a block. I truncated some of the boxes to fit the work envelope on my CNC machine. When I created the toolpath only the truncated boxes and a box that was edited into a smaller box were part of the tool path, none of the blocks were included. I tried exploding one block to see it that made a difference – it didn’t.

I’m trying to determine why the blocks are skipped.
toolpath.jpg
toolpath.jpg (99.31 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
Attachments
token tray template part1.dxf
(141.09 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Last edited by Grafpaper on Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QCADCAM version 3.28.2 on Windows 11

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Toolpath Skips Block

Post by andrew » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:06 pm

You'd have to explode the blocks and then re-create the toolpath. Blocks cannot be used as basis for toolpaths as they can contain any combination of entities that might or might not be suitable for a toolpath.

Note also that one of the blocks has been inserted twice in the same spot.

Grafpaper
Newbie Member

Re: Toolpath Skips Block

Post by Grafpaper » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:03 pm

Thank you for the information. Exploding the blocks worked. I had to delete the previous toolpath and generate a new one.
QCADCAM version 3.28.2 on Windows 11

newyd_cnc

Re: [solved] - Toolpath Skips Block

Post by newyd_cnc » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:01 am

On this very subject, I find myself obliged to group objects in order to move them effectively in my layout before computing toolpaths for CNC cutting.
I say grouping entities which in QCAD way that means creating blocks. However as it stands, using blocks turns out to be cumbersome becaue I then have to explode the blocks before being able to computing toolpaths on the items that were contained in the blocks. Typically my CNC cut files include 50+ blocks each composed of 10+ entities.

Now it turns out to be cumbersome because if you then want to tweak one former block actual position you have to select each item individually and be careful not to leave anything behind in the selection etc ...

Now I understand that once the items are grouped in a block, the block doesn't "offer" an entry point for the toolpath algorithm to work with.

Wouldn't it be possible then to introduce the notion of grouped selection as a mere set of selected objects, without the notion of unity of block, insertion point , etc... . Since you can select say 4 items and apply to the selected items a toolpath computation (no problem finding an entry point for the toolpath in that case) couldn't it be possible to group the selection (i.e. remember several selected object in one only selection) and handle basic transform operations (at least translations and rotation WRT a simple extremity point or other ) and toolpath computations?

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:27 am

@ newyd_cnc,

I extract CAM related data to a working file to process with QCAD/CAM.
From a master file I can then create as many CAM files as desired, with different things and/or as several revisions.

Basically: Don't clutter your CAM source drawing with unnecessary items.
And on the other hand: All CAM related (CAM-Blocks with custom Props, CAM-Layers) is of no meaning in a master drawing.

For CAM preparation I tend to group source drawing entities in layers by intended toolpath.
Another type of grouping than Blocks is not supported by QCAD.
Layers have much more attributes to play with: Hiding, Freezing, Locking, ...
And can be stacked in a hierarchic manner.

If you want to move all visible then Select All (TA).
Selecting all on a certain layer can be done in the Layer List with Y+ (Remind that this adds to an existent selection, if any)

And another reason to chop up things is that I have to keep my G-Code files limited to a certain (large) amount of text lines.
My designs have highly detailed shapes and on top, they include spiral pocketing with tiny engraving points.
Once beyond the limit my CNC controller doesn't display the current text lines in process ... [Huge file]

Bottom line: I don't have a purpose for Blocks.
And I don't edit in a later stage, I make revisions.
Chopping and layering is a method that works well and I've made it a habit. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

newyd_cnc

Post by newyd_cnc » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:25 pm

Thank you for your helpful feedback.

I'd be grateful if you could share how you would handle a project like mine? See the CAD below: it includes 58 objects to be CNC cut. Each object includes 5 lines, 2 circles, 2 splines and 5 arcs. It is quite diffuclt to select an object when the others are packed tighlty as in my file.
cad.png
cad.png (42.25 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Would you go for one layer per object? or else?

Below is the CAM which looks fit for my purpose, however I wouldn't refrain from tweaking some object positions.
CAM_toolpath.png
CAM_toolpath.png (107.26 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Thank you for your ideas and suggestions

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:16 pm

newyd_cnc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:25 pm
I'd be grateful if you could share how you would handle a project like mine?
I see your problem.
Reading another topic on groups it seems that ACAD has something like that.
It does not entirely mimic the Block functionality and I read about issues with that.

In my wish list I added an entry for some similar functionality.
Adding a parameter or a custom tag/property so that we can select items of a group together.
I think it will not be that hard to add a selection change listener and then filter all drawing entities based on the selected tags.

But it is way down in my ToDo list. :wink:

They are all different shapes I presume or probably pairs.
One could create a layer for each ... With a sub-layer L and R for example.

Regards,
CVH

newyd_cnc

Post by newyd_cnc » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:02 pm

Hello CVH,

it was indeed useful to discuss my project with you as I got to know about sub-layers that I wasn't previously aware of. That can indeed prove to be a helpful feature.

About grouping, yes ACAD has something like that (but as you say a little bit wonky) while Rhino3D has a very good one. It operates as a simple collective selection tool.

Best regards
LBR

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:01 pm

newyd_cnc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:02 pm
About grouping, yes ACAD has something like that (but as you say a little bit wonky) while Rhino3D has a very good one. It operates as a simple collective selection tool.
@ newyd_cnc,

Have successfully implemented a entity group selection tool ... Beta version ... :P
It is fairly similar as the 2D Centroids listener, you activate or deactivate it.
Almost a copy/paste - Rename - Implement selecting.

Works like a charm. :P
The selection key is a Custom Property called 'Group ID' intended for a value upwards from zero.
But why not a name because all is textual? Why not groups with subgroups? e_geek

Tinkering further ... :wink:
I need to block signals too because now it runs again after it has updated the selection itself.
Processing a large amount of visible entities and/or a large selection is fast but not that fast to do it twice by default. :roll:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD/CAM”