Does QCAD use X-refs?

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

cyberplumber
Registered Member

Does QCAD use X-refs?

Post by cyberplumber » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:47 pm

I've used AutoCAD in plumbing (mostly hospitals) for about 10 years. Retired in 2008 and haven't used Cad since. Now I would like to design a wood shop building. I'm looking for a free or very cheap Cad program.
I have a couple of questions about QCAD.
1. Does QCAD use X-refs?
2. What's the secret using offset and parallel with dimensions? It always offsets 1 inch.
3. Why doesn't the layer box show the color and line type?

I hope this one is the right one. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Does QCAD use X-refs?

Post by ryancousins » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:37 pm

Cyberplumber,

Welcome to the QCAD forum.

1. At this time, QCAD is not capable of using external references. There is a library feature that allows you to bring in external files, however, changes made to those external files will not automatically propagate to any references to them.

2. When using the parallel and offset tools, and many other tools, you should see the "options toolbar" at the top. If not, you can turn it on. Take a look at the 2nd image below.

3. The layers widget does show the layer color, however, you are correct that it does not show the linetype.

PS, I'm not a moderator so I don't like to act like one, but I wanted to mention that the real moderators will let you know that you should make each unrelated question it's own post so those topics are easier to search for. In addition, whenever possible, include files and/or screenshots and OS and QCAD version info when applicable.

I hope you enjoy QCAD!
Attachments
3.png
3.png (13.75 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
2.png
2.png (78.21 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
1.png
1.png (25.25 KiB) Viewed 3211 times

Return to “Introduce Yourself”