Hey ya'll

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

gmpowell71
Newbie Member

Hey ya'll

Post by gmpowell71 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:27 pm

Greetings from the Deep South(North America).

I'm working towards a second career as a land surveyor. With that in mind, I've been collecting value added open source software to help me achieve my future career goals as cost effectively and efficiently as possible. QCAD and QGIS seems to be great solutions!

I downloaded the trial version and started learning. I quickly discovered the scripting capability and attempted to write a script to calculate Bearing and Azimuth with some formatting. I blew through the 100 restarts in a few days trying to refine the script and restarting.

I went ahead and purchased the software and was able to refine the script but quickly realized the limits of my abilities while utilizing the available online resources, examples and documentation. I wish there was more available.

If anyone is interested, the script is attached. It calculates the distance, bearing and azimuth between two points and outputs it to the command line. I then cut and paste those values into text blocks for use in my products. I would love to be able to write script for alternative formats and additional text. DMS format, configured precision N,S prefixing and E,W suffixing would be nice as well. Maybe someone here can take it further. I've reached the limits of my current capabilities.

The script is cobbled together from the dovetail example, script and the point to point measurement script. It's definitely Dr. Frankenstein's work. Enjoy!
Attachments
Bearing.js
Script to calculate distance, bearing and azimuth point 2 point.
(5.36 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Is it crawfish season yet?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Hey ya'll

Post by Husky » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:00 am

Hello gmpowell71 - welcome to the forum.

Thanks for introducing yourself and your script contribution. Not my wheelhouse but I'm sure interested user will look into that! :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Re: Hey ya'll

Post by lphilpot » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:05 am

Welcome to the forum, and to QCAD. I'm an occasional user, but I actually find myself looking for applications (in my free time, I'm no pro). I'm also from the Deep South (Louisiana).
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “Introduce Yourself”