Hi Everyone!

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Circle

Hi Everyone!

Post by Circle » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:37 pm

I am a basic 2D Cad user and have gotten frustrated with the subscription model used on other CAD programs. I also find that they are now focusing more on BIM and 3D. The result being that the simple 2D parts of the programs have stopped progressing. What has attracted me to Qcad-Pro, besides the price, was that it has some powerful geometric capability. I was also impressed that it has Blocks, Paper and Model spaces. It appears to have a strong database. I am blown away by the power of this application.

In my four days of testing, I have come across one major drawback. I am hoping that it is just because I am a newbie and don't yet know how to use the program correctly. If you want to have four viewports on a drawing pages, each at a different scale, how do you set the correct text height for the dimension text in the model space? It appears that there is only one place to set the dimension text height, in the Drawing Preferences. The result is that the dimension text only works correctly for one of the scales used in the paper space?

I will annotate the drawing in the paper space but need to dimension in the model space so as to capture the real dimensions.

Many thanks!

Working on Mac Big Sur
QCAD version: 3.26.4.0 (3.26.4)
Mac: Big Sur version 11.4
QCAD Pro

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Hi Everyone!

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:42 pm

Thank you for your kind feedback.

You'd typically create those dimensions in paper space and make sure that in the options toolbar the option "Auto" is ticked. Dimensions are then created with the appropriate linear factor for the viewport they are referencing (see also property "Linear Factor" of dimension entities).

Circle

Post by Circle » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:12 pm

Thanks Andrew for your quick response.
This is good news as it makes QCAD a lot more useful and powerful for my needs. Unfortunately, in doing a test, I get different dimensions when dimensioning the same element in different scales. I am sure there is an important setting I have overlooked. All 3 dims were made using the horizontal measurement tool and end snaps.

In the model space the dimension is 5' 11 1/8. As you can see in the attached pdf the dimensions in the paper space do not match.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Untitled.pdf
(48.29 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
QCAD Pro

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:38 pm

Please attach your DXF file, thanks.

Circle

Post by Circle » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:22 pm

Thanks Andrew, for taking a look at my file.
Attachments
test 2.dxf
(113.39 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
QCAD Pro

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:01 am

Thanks.

In this case, I can confirm that the auto factor fails / is not precise enough as a result of a rounding issue. I'd recommend to enter the known scale instead when dimensioning the parts: "1:24" for the smaller viewport and "1:12" for the larger one.

The problem has been fixed for the next release.

Circle

Post by Circle » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:45 pm

Thanks Andrew for confirming and providing a work-around. Works perfectly with the work-around.
Looking forward to the updates.
QCAD Pro

linux478
Newbie Member

Post by linux478 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:42 am

@Andrew I can confirm this works for linear dimensions and not ordinate dimension.

QCAD Version: 3.26.4.0 (3.26.4)

Thanks,
Michael
Thank you for your time,
Michael

QCAD: 3.27.6.0

Return to “Introduce Yourself”