Solved - New Here

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Nikki
Newbie Member

Solved - New Here

Post by Nikki » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:32 pm

I'm new here. I first learned AutoCAD back in 1990? I have used it as a hobby off and on for years. I have misplaced my password for the program and haven't been able to load it for several years. I need to get back to drawing. Will this work on my Chromebook? Or is there a better program for me? I've never really worked with 3D. When I started, I was running in DOS. 1st computer had Windows 3.1. They didn't play well together then. My favorite version was release 10 of AutoCAD but I have used 14 as well.

Thanks,
Nikki
Last edited by Nikki on Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: New Here

Post by ryancousins » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forum!

There is a website, http://www.rollapp.com, that hosts the community edition of QCAD. (rollApp has no connection to the developer of QCAD to my knowledge). It costs $8-$10/month based on whether you pay annually or monthly. It generally works but it is slow sometimes since it's being hosted on a virtual server. I'm using it with some students right now and we're getting by but I'd probably go nuts if I had to use it that way like some of my students have to!

Nikki
Newbie Member

Post by Nikki » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:42 pm

Is that the only way to use with Chromebook? I don't mind downloading a program to be able to keep everything on my laptop. I just like to design houses and sometimes furniture. Is there a better program to use? I'm retired, on disability. This is just a hobby for me. Small fixed income, so I was looking for something free, if possible.

Thanks

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:25 am

Nikki wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:42 pm
Is that the only way to use with Chromebook?
Most likely - yes.
Nikki wrote:
I don't mind downloading a program to be able to keep everything on my laptop.
If you have a MAC or Windows laptop then you can download QCAD and run it directly on your laptop.
Nikki wrote:
This is just a hobby for me. Small fixed income, so I was looking for something free, if possible.
For macOS, Windows and Linux is a free QCAD version available. To download and see for which Operation Systems a QCAD Version is available please check:

https://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-downloads-trial

BTW: We provide in this forum support for QCAD Community user too!
Nikki wrote:
Is there a better program to use?
As a QCAD product evangelist my answer has to be: No - I don't think so! Maybe you can find a better answer in other foren ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:52 am

Husky wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:25 am
Nikki wrote:
Is there a better program to use?
As a QCAD product evangelist my answer has to be: No - I don't think so! Maybe you can find a better answer in other foren ... :wink:

I totally agree with Husky… IMHO, QCAD is the best 2D CAD option out there, especially for the price. The pro version is very affordable and you only have to buy it once unless you want continued upgrades after a year. (Plus there is a nice discount if you purchase subsequent years of upgrades!) But the free community edition has much of the basic functionality of the pro version. (Here are the feature differences: https://www.qcad.org/en/documentation/features) You can even throw it on a flash drive and run it “portably” (on a Win/Mac/Linux machine) without even having to install it on a computer.

If you want to try out a 3D modeling program that is free and can run on a Chromebook, I would definitely check out SketchUp. https://app.sketchup.com There is a free web-based version that can do almost everything that the paid install version can do, and it’s also a pretty cool program. It’s quite a bit different than a traditional CAD program like QCAD or AutoCAD but it is intuitive in its own way.

Nikki
Newbie Member

Post by Nikki » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:02 am

Thanks. I will take all of that into consideration and look into it more when I'm less tired. :D
I appreciate all of your help. I get design ideas in my head and I need to get them drawn or they don't get out of my head!
I have thought about a different laptop since I haven't been crazy about this Chromebook. I have 2 really old Windows desktops but can't get to them these days. That's why I got the laptop.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”