Hello from Michigan (USA)

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Omnibus
Newbie Member

Hello from Michigan (USA)

Post by Omnibus » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:32 pm

Bruce here. Retired. Engineering background, but not a trained drafting or CAD person.

I need to design an accessory building to house a couple of recreational vehicles and a workshop/storeroom. I could do it on paper, of course, but thought this would be a good opportunity to learn to use a CAD program. Since I will not be using it professionally, I can't justify paying a lot of money for something (like AutoCAD) or taking on such a steep learning curve. I've downloaded and installed the 64-bit Windows 10 version of QCAD but disabled the "Pro" features as I want to try it out before buying a license.

I've already run into a "problem" that I can't solve. I am trying to add dimensions to a simple floor plan (outline) of my building and the system will not display the distances. According to the reference manual, adding dimensions to a drawing is not a "Pro" feature. I've watch several Youtube videos and based on some entries in this forrum, I have already gone to the Edit Menu | Drawing Preferences | Dimension | Dimension Settings | to change the Font Label, but there is not data field for it. :-( I think the one-time license fee is very reasonable, but right out of the gate a basic feature does not seem to work correctly. I can repost this in the Community Forum section if that is where it belongs.

ASUS ROG Laptop, Intel i7-4700 HQ 2.40 GHz, Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Ver 10.0.19042, Build 19042

Bruce

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Hello from Michigan (USA)

Post by Husky » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:51 am

Hello Bruce,

thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to the QCAD forum!
Omnibus wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:32 pm
I think the one-time license fee is very reasonable, but right out of the gate a basic feature does not seem to work correctly.
It works correctly. I guess there is just a setting which prevents a proper outcome. I'm sure we can solve that in no time together ... :wink:

Omnibus wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:32 pm
I can repost this in the Community Forum section if that is where it belongs.
Yes please - we would appreciate that. On that way our forum stays overseeable. If possible attache the drawing or a test drawing what shows the same issue. That will speed things up ... :wink:

Note:
The Community Edition comes already with a bunch of dim tools. Not like the Pro version but still plenty. If you like you can compare it by yourself:
https://www.qcad.org/en/documentation/features
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “Introduce Yourself”