[solved] QCAD download and installation problems

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

kemerkid
Newbie Member

[solved] QCAD download and installation problems

Post by kemerkid » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:06 pm

Hi my name is Peter and I live in Turkey, I retired here 14 years ago and live of my UK state pension, this means I have limited spending power.
I used to use DraftSight when it was free but since it now involves a fee I can no longer use it. I am using Linux Mint 2.1 on a 64bit machine.
I have tried Freehave but cannot get to grips with it so therefore tried to download QCAD.
I followed all the download instructions and the download has started, it takes between 1 and 2 hours. when it reaches 100% then fails with a red box notice with the message telling me "There was a problem opening the file....."
Clearly I am doing something wrong, can you help me?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: QCAD download and installation problems

Post by Husky » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:32 pm

Hi Peter - welcome to the QCAD forum.

What is your Operation System?
kemerkid wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:06 pm
I followed all the download instructions and the download has started, it takes between 1 and 2 hours. when it reaches 100% then fails with a red box notice with the message telling me "There was a problem opening the file....."
Please use for the download only this download source:
https://www.qcad.org/de/qcad-downloads-trial
Make sure you are downloading the correct package to your OS!

How long a download takes depends on your internet speed. Normally it takes only a few minutes ...

The downloaded version is a trial version with all Pro features. To turn this version to a free version please follow this instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4668#p17085
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

kemerkid
Newbie Member

Post by kemerkid » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:51 pm

Thanks for the greeting Husky, I have just tried it again with the same results. I'll try again tomorrow.

kemerkid
Newbie Member

Post by kemerkid » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:43 pm

when I click on the qcad icon it downloads a text file to my download box. when I click on this text file my computer starts to download the programme, runs to 100% then shows a red box error message. I now have a message on my screen "qcad.exe - \sy Error" "The peogram can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime- 1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." If this is my problem, and how do I fix it?
Is there anyone who could help me please?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:00 pm

Please download and save the file to your local hard drive. Do not open the installer with a text editor or with the browser. You might have to right-click on the download button and choose "Save as" or similar.

Please refer also to:
https://www.qcad.org/en/component/conte ... tion-linux

kemerkid
Newbie Member

Post by kemerkid » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:55 pm

Thank you Andrew for the detailed installation information. I have followed the information to the letter but sadly have ended up with the same result.
After following all the instructions the program begins to download but it is taking almost 3 hours to complete, at the end I get the redbox message.
This might be my problem that the program is taking too long. I will persevere but I am beginning to lose all hope of obtaining this product over the internet.
Thank you for your interest in my problem.

kemerkid
Newbie Member

Post by kemerkid » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:08 pm

UPDATE:
I have just tried on my 32bit Dell laptop running Ubuntu Mate on another hard drive, it all completed in a matter of minutes.
I am so grateful for all the help I have received. Thanks all and especially Andrew who made it all possible.
Time for me to start drafting. :0)

kemerkid
Newbie Member

Re: [solved] QCAD download and installation problems

Post by kemerkid » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:27 pm

Eureka... I now have a fully operational QCAD program working on my 64bit Toshiba laptop with Linux Mint installed.
Thanks guys. When double clicking on the download file it brigs up a box with four options, Run in terminal, display, cancel and run. This time I selected "Run in terminal" it downloaded in about 30 seconds, all I had to do then was remove the plugin's and away it went.
I really am grateful to you all for spending time on this with me.
BEST WISHES Pete.

petevick
Premier Member

Re: [solved] QCAD download and installation problems

Post by petevick » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:45 pm

kemerkid wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:27 pm
Eureka... I now have a fully operational QCAD program working on my 64bit Toshiba laptop with Linux Mint installed.
Thanks guys. When double clicking on the download file it brigs up a box with four options, Run in terminal, display, cancel and run. This time I selected "Run in terminal" it downloaded in about 30 seconds, all I had to do then was remove the plugin's and away it went.
I really am grateful to you all for spending time on this with me.
BEST WISHES Pete.
It wasn't downloading in the terminal, it was installing Qcad on your hard drive, you'd already downloaded the install file :wink:

Cheers

another Pete
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.6

Return to “Introduce Yourself”