Stupid Question

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Phred
Registered Member

Stupid Question

Post by Phred » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:21 am

Hello worldwide QCAD users! I have just started mucking around with QCAD and so far I am very impressed in the quality and feel of the SW. I have one major issue which will probably kill me. I have 20+ years of using command line commands in Acad and later Draftsight. Draftsight pulled the free plug a little while ago and left a lot of people with no Cad. Qcad looks very similar except none of the commands are the same. I'm not a mouse person. I don't suppose anyone is working on a plug-in to translate all the command line commands to match Acad?? :roll:
Any advice for someone too old to learn a hundred new commands? BTW I'd be more than happy to pay for Cad (within reason) - and I'd pay extra to keep it the same. Every Draftsight revision was an annoying waste of time with a couple of excpetions like grouping (which took 10 years to make it useful).
Cad-on!

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Stupid Question

Post by CVH » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:52 am

Hi, and welcome to the community :)

Please repeat your question in an appropriate forum.
There are many people that make the switch from Draftsight ...

There are no stupid questions, there are only stupid answers! :wink:

I have no experience in Acad, nor Draftsight and I doubt that one can level all the differences out.

In short:
(By mouse) Menu Edit .. Applications Preferences .. General .. Tool Settings
(by keys) Ctrl+,
A list of the standard shortcuts can be found here:
https://qcad.org/archives/shortcuts/shortcuts_en.pdf

Regards,
CVH

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Stupid Question

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:52 am

QCAD is (very much deliberately) not an Autocad clone like Draftsight.

The QCAD way of working is using shortcuts (two letter key codes that are typed 'blind', no need to enter into the command line and hit enter).

Return to “Introduce Yourself”