Greetings from Florida

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

tomcashen
Registered Member

Greetings from Florida

Post by tomcashen » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:30 pm

Hello all.

Qcad pro gives me the tools I need to produce 2d drawings! I was up late last night reading through the forums and discovering features that I can put to use right away.
Draw from CSV is fantastic because the project I'm currently working on (running track markings) already involves a complex spreadsheet I developed years ago; the output of which is a set of measurements the painter can use to layout with a transit and a tape measure. A back-burner mission has been to leverage this sheet to produce a drawing. I can't thank CVH enough for this functionality and the beautiful documentation!

As a Linux user, I can testify that qcad works beautifully in this environment, Bravo to the developers!

I have much to learn about qcad scripting between ECMA and QT, and I appreciate the examples and resources provided.
QCAD on ArchLinux since April, 2024

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Greetings from Florida

Post by CVH » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:07 am

Hi, and welcome to the QCAD forum.

Thank you for your kind words. :P
Since its development, DrawFromCSV has indeed proven to be a very powerful tool.
Part of the credit goes to Andrew with the development of QCAD and the extensive API.

Especially useful for simple tedious repetitive tasks like generating hundreds of tag plates.
Or for larger projects, redoing them each time with a minor to major twist.
And it fits beautifully in my strategy of rather redrawing over editing things.

What can be accomplished with this tool is only limited by your spreadsheet skills. 8)
It usually involves a data input sheet, a math sheet and a translation sheet to DrawFromCSV drawing macros.
An unreleased addition are ellipses but the math for these are probably a bridge too far for most users.

Kind regards,
CVH
Last edited by CVH on Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomcashen
Registered Member

Re: Greetings from Florida

Post by tomcashen » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:46 am

It usually involves a data input sheet, a math sheet and a translation sheet to DrawFromCSV drawing macros.
Exactly. Sounds like you've been there. :) Presently, I have an input sheet, a calculation sheet and several print sheets for various formats.

I'm looking at 2 translation sheets. One from the present surveyor math to cartesian, which, in turn, will inform one to DrawFromCSV.

Gotta love a sreadsheet for this kind of work!

Thanks again!
QCAD on ArchLinux since April, 2024

Return to “Introduce Yourself”