Hello from Ohio, USA

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Metalman
Registered Member

Hello from Ohio, USA

Post by Metalman » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:45 pm

I look forward to tapping into everyone's collective knowledge. This is my first forum and first time using a CAD program. I have QCAD/CAM version 3.29.4.0 on Windows 11. QCAD came to me through Arcdroid CNC plasma cutting system. I have taken up metal working as a retirement hobby and possible side hustle to Social Security. I am excited to learn new things in my retirement years.

I do have a question if someone can answer or direct me to proper place. I have made 6-7 drawings now and pleased with my progress. My latest object on the grid is 18 inches by 19 inches. All good. I let the table numbers (I do not know what to call them) get out of control. The horizontal and vertical border numbers are into the 11 digits. I would like to have my drawn object on a table with maybe 0 to 50 inches or something like that. I have tried many ways and just don't have it right. Help?

Thanks and look forward to using QCAD.

Brad

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Hello from Ohio, USA

Post by CVH » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:13 pm

Hi, and welcome to the QCAD forum.

First I have this question:
On the ArcDroid CNC site I discover a QCAD/CAM Post Processor:
https://arcdroidcnc.com/pages/downloads

QCAD/CAM is a proprietary Addon intended to run on QCAD professional, itself proprietary.
Normally a licence is personal, see: https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/documentation/license
Metalman wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:45 pm
QCAD came to me through Arcdroid CNC plasma cutting system.
Does that mean that the ArcDroid came with a functional copy of QCAD/CAM without a personal QCAD/CAM licence?

I have no experience at all with how ArcDroid handles DXF files and you don't explain how QCAD is involved.
But I do see that it in some usages the toolpath is an offset what can also be handled by QCAD/CAM exporting in G-Code.

QCAD/CAM uses the drawing origin (0.0, 0.0) as G-code zero and thus as zeroing reference.
To work out you need to:
- Include art near the drawing origin.
- Zero your CNC equipment at the intended spot on your substrate.

In QCAD/CAM there is no method to set a relative origin.
Meaning that you can not relocate the origin but you can relocate all art in relation to the drawing origin.

Zeroing is not the same as homing ...
Homing is to synchronize the mechanical position with the logical position of the CNC driver.
Usually only required on startup of your CNC setup.
Zeroing is defining where the G-Code working origin is in relation with the reachable working area.
For milling for example usually first in X-Y but also in Z there it is common to set the working zero at the top of your substrate.
CNC drivers usually support several sets of coordinates with at least a Machine Coordinate system and one to more Working Coordinate system(s).

I need to add that CAD is basically unit-less and G-Code is mostly limited to inch or mm (G20/21).
But even in feet to mm the art must be extremely far away from the origin to result in 11 digits numbers ....

Perhaps you can start a topic about your issue in the best suited QCAD forum.
With a licensed QCAD/CAM most likely here: https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewforum.php?f=74
Include example files and explain your problem in detail.

Regards,
CVH

Metalman
Registered Member

Re: Hello from Ohio, USA

Post by Metalman » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:07 am

Hi CVH,

The Arcdroid CNC does not come with any programs like QCAD, Fusion360, etc. They have several post processors developed for popular CAD/CAM programs. I'll look into your comments/suggestions. I'll check other threads outside of Introdctions for some of the other learning I need to do.

Thanks for the assist.

Brad

Return to “Introduce Yourself”