New QCad user intro, model boat builder

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Ken

New QCad user intro, model boat builder

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:58 pm

I am a radio control model boat builder. I enjoy building model boats from scratch although I do build from kits, but the kits I build get heavily modified. I have two diving model submarines, a fast electric offshore powerboat and a few party boats which are fishing boats. For power tools I have a MicroMark lathe, Grizzly desktop bandsaw, oscillating sander and a desktop drill press.

I enjoyed drafting in high school and community college and still do occasion old school drafting. Years ago I used MacDarw on my Mac, but that program is no longer around. The current party boat which is nearly finished I drew the hull frames on paper. I'm designing my next boat which I want to do the hull frames on a CAD program. So I am poking around getting use to using QCad. I'm going to have plenty of questions to ask as QCad has many features, and many I might not need. I will certainly be using layers to keep the frames separate from each other. Each frame will fit on a 8.5x11 page. The boat will be 31 inches longer and 8 inches wide. So each frame will easily fit on a 8.5x 11 page.If I get ambitious I might do a side profile of the boat in QCad.

Anyway, good to be here and excited to start putting this program to use. I'm using QCad on Windows 10 which I have two 27" ViewSonic monitors. I can also use it on my 15" MacBook Pro but currently do not have any large monitors to use with it. I'll be printing on a Laser printer which handles legal size paper and I also have an Inkjet print.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”