Hello from Oklahoma

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

bcorley
Registered Member

Hello from Oklahoma

Post by bcorley » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:12 pm

Hi.
I'm an engineer at a company that builds cnc plasma and router machines and controls. We have been using the QCAD community edition for a while now and like it. We purchased QCAD/CAM with hopes to use it with our linuxcnc based control. There are many major customizations that will have to be done to accomplish it. So, just a heads up, I will be asking several deep questions going forward. For instance, can I call a custom ui with custom fields for tools; can I store the tool data differently than on a dxf and have it referenced by your CamExporter and CamTools dialog or at least store the custom tool fields on a dxf and be able to access them from the post. The list goes on... I use QT for my gui with linuxcnc, but, the handler is python. Javascript is new to me, so, please bear with me while I'm on the learning curve.

Regards,

Butch Corley

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Hello from Oklahoma

Post by CVH » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:23 am

Hi, and welcome to the QCAD forum.
bcorley wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:12 pm
For instance, can I call a custom ui with custom fields for tools; can I store the tool data differently than on a dxf and have it referenced by your CamExporter and CamTools dialog or at least store the custom tool fields on a dxf and be able to access them from the post.
Not that I know of but the latter is standard.
See: https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=9196
Your custom UI or rather your custom addon could of course create such a dxf file knowing the specs.

Under QCAD we script in ECMAScript and then about everything is possible.
Never seen a custom Qt GUI or a Python script interacting with QCAD.
An UI file is usually loaded by an addon, mostly tool option ribbons or dialogs and the rest is handled under QCAD.

While the basics of QCAD are fairly good documented, QCAD/CAM is rather un-/under- documented proprietary code.
But asking the right questions doesn't cost anything. :wink:

Like I said, almost anything is possible knowing what and how. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “Introduce Yourself”