Imperial (US) drawing sheet templates, ANSI A-E

About the creation of DXF / DWG part library items.

Moderator: andrew

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Imperial (US) drawing sheet templates, ANSI A-E

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:56 am

rluke wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:25 am
These templates are great.
I'm glad to hear they are helpful to you!
rluke wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:25 am
Question: When I open them they show up in "model space". Is that where they belong or should they be cut and pasted into the layout (paper space)?
Or should they be imported instead of opened?.
Yes - they are made for model space. Imported or opened? Depends on your workflow.
Layout? Now we are talking ...
If you work with QCAD on a semi professional base I would recommend to use them as a source to create a proper template. Those templates could content every basic what you need for new drawings like layouts, layer, blocks etc.. QCAD will duplicate those templates for new drawings (CTRL+N) - the original stays untouched ...

In my case I created a template for all my basic layer and blocks, a paper space for landscape and one for portrait prints. When I start a new drawing I have already my "personal" default setup and just delete at the end of the job what I haven't used. Yes, I'm lazy ...

My default setup for new drawing:

Husky-2022.01.24-02.png
Husky-2022.01.24-02.png (44.6 KiB) Viewed 37302 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

rluke

Post by rluke » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:02 pm

Husky.. thanks for the reply.
Sorry for all the questions.. I don't want to start off going down the wrong path. I want to create a template for sure.
I've been accustomed to having the title block and such on the drawing sheets (or paper space as they are called here). Would copying that stuff onto the paper space cause any type of issue?

Rich

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:58 pm

rluke wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:02 pm
Would copying that stuff onto the paper space cause any type of issue?
No.

If you use my drawings as base unlock in Model_Space the layer "9.1 Drawing sheet". Then select everything, copy with reference (0,0) into the clipboard, open a Paper_Space, paste the clipboard content to 0,0. Rename the Paper_Space regarding to the content.

Keep in mind that the easiest way to deal with different scales in Paper_Space would be to keep Border, Paper Frame, Title block etc etc in 1:1. A print out of Paper_Space is then also done in 1:1. If you need to scale something, even different scales, that is handled within the scale used in a Viewport.

https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... -viewports
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

rluke

Post by rluke » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:13 am

Ok
Starting to make sense now. thanks... thanks

Rich

rluke

Post by rluke » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:06 pm

I've been trying to build a template with various size layouts (paper space). All is well when I load the first of these nice templates. It does not matter which on I load first. But when I import another I am running into some trouble. The paper frames don't match anything. They are either out of scale or not correct. All my scale factors are set to 1:1. I know I'm missing something just not sure what?

Thanks
Rich
Attachments
template test ABC.dxf
(201.21 KiB) Downloaded 836 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:04 pm

Hi Rich,
rluke wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:06 pm
The paper frames don't match anything. They are either out of scale or not correct. All my scale factors are set to 1:1. I know I'm missing something just not sure what?
Looks already good!

Here is what happens: You are importing or copy/paste different sizes of frames. ANSI A, B, C. Those sources are as far as possible standardize what means they are built under the same rules and use the same names for the same things (who did that???). That is in this case the issue but easy to "fix"!

If you import or copy/paste a block with the same name in the target drawing you have the option to overwrite the same name block or not. Overwrite means the block from the source will be used - not overwrite means the block in the target will be used. However - in this case both methods would be wrong.
To avoid this you have to rename one of the identical block names. Target or source block - doesn't matters.

In short: Rename in the source drawing for ANSI C the blocks to "Paper Frame C" and "Zoned border C" and copy/paste them into the drawing "template test ABC.dxf". You have to do that for all source drawings ... :wink:

rluke

Post by rluke » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:08 pm

That worked great ! Thanks so much... I never would have figured that out. :)

Rich

rluke

Post by rluke » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:21 pm

It looks like I should also rename the "Title" and "Revision" blocks the same way as the Paper Frames. Am I correct ?

Thanks
Rich

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:17 pm

rluke wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:21 pm
It looks like I should also rename the "Title" and "Revision" blocks the same way as the Paper Frames. Am I correct ?
Depends on what you're doing but I don't think so ... e_surprised

rluke

Post by rluke » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:33 am

Thanks again for making those templates... ... really great

rluke

Post by rluke » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:20 am

I've filled in some of the attributes on the title block. That's a nice feature.
Question: When I toggle the visibility of the title block to [OFF} the attribute text remains visible on the layout. Can the attribute text be hidden?

thanks
Rich

Windows 10 home
QCad pro trial

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:02 am

rluke wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:20 am
Can the attribute text be hidden?
Yes. As you know everything in CAD lives on layer. Put the Attributes on a designated layer and switch the layer to invisible.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:09 am

rluke wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:20 am
Question: When I toggle the visibility of the title block to [OFF} the attribute text remains visible on the layout. Can the attribute text be hidden?
Block attributes are separate entities, not technically part of the block.

You can use this application preference to hide block attributes when the block is hidden:
Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Behaviour > Hide attributes when block references are hidden

rluke

Post by rluke » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:12 pm

You can use this application preference to hide block attributes when the block is hidden:
Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Behaviour > Hide attributes when block references are hidden
That worked perfect ... thanks thanks

Rich

Return to “Creating DXF/DWG items”