Hatching workaround - for diagrammatic purposes only!

Tips and tricks you want to share with other users. Tutorials, user submitted documentation, etc.

Moderator: andrew

Clive

Hatching workaround - for diagrammatic purposes only!

Post by Clive » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Often, here in the machine shop I am confronted with the wonderful task (who am I kidding... ) on cleaning up drawings for either cnc output or for presentation purposes and after many hours of scrambling about with hatching work I eventually came up with a quick and easy solution to hatch an area without all of the clean up needed - yes sometimes it is easy to prepare a boundary for hatching but at other times it is not and if the final output is for diagrammatic purposes only then the following method should suffice!

The method:

Step 1/ Turn off all other unnecessary layers leaving only the one showing what you need to crate a boundary with.
Step 1.jpg
Step 1.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 22721 times
Step 2/ Set up a new layer 'Trace'.
Step 2.jpg
Step 2.jpg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 22721 times
Step 3/ Drafting on layer 'Trace', select to use the Spline tool ( Control Points).
Step 3.jpg
Step 3.jpg (9.96 KiB) Viewed 22721 times
Step 4/ Select the snap option -'On Entity'.
Step 4.jpg
Step 4.jpg (13.01 KiB) Viewed 22721 times
Step 5/ Using the spline tool trace around the area needed to create a boundary, just follow the profile around snapping as you go - you will need to snap more frequently and closer together to achieve a better fit at corners - this process doesn't take as long as you think!
Step 5.jpg
Step 5.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 22721 times
Step 6/ When you have completed your tracing, turn off the underlying layer to only leave the layer 'Trace'. Then with the spline selected go to the Hatch tools and select 'Hatch from selection'.
Step 6.jpg
Step 6.jpg (26.38 KiB) Viewed 22721 times
Step 7/ In the Hatch dialog window, choose the hatch type you need and hit the OK button.
Step 7.jpg
Step 7.jpg (51.22 KiB) Viewed 22721 times
Step 8/ Delete the spline, to leave only the hatching.
Step 8.jpg
Step 8.jpg (10.2 KiB) Viewed 22721 times
Step 9/ Select the hatching and in the property editor change the hatch to the layer you need!
Step 9.jpg
Step 9.jpg (44.47 KiB) Viewed 22721 times
Step 10/ Turn on the layers again and job done :wink:
Step 10.jpg
Step 10.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 22721 times
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Camzl1

Re: Hatching workaround - for diagrammatic purposes only!

Post by Camzl1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:59 am

Clive this is awesome. I vote this as a good avenue to do hatching. I am used to tracing on digitizers and this will be a breeze.

Thank you so much. I feel honored you would use my drawing as a help me doc.
Best Regards,

Eric Pate
CNC Technical Director
Terminator Diamond Products, Inc

https://www.terminatordia.com/

Clive

Re: Hatching workaround - for diagrammatic purposes only!

Post by Clive » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi Eric,

Glad to help, now you have to get on with the work :lol:

All the best,

Clive
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Return to “QCAD Tips and Tutorials”