Parallel Lines & Layout Blocks / Viewports

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

GrowMate

Parallel Lines & Layout Blocks / Viewports

Post by GrowMate » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:56 pm

Huawei Mate Book Pro 2020 / Windows 10 v.20H2 (OS Build 19042.1237) QCAD v.3.27.6.0 (3.27.6)

I am getting great value out of QCAD's Layout Blocks / Viewports feature which is remarkably intuitive and delivers excellent results.

However I have noticed that when I return to Modeling Space, although the Dimensions all work perfectly and have a scale box that can be adjusted if necessary there is no such feature for parallel lines which often seem to carry forward the last scale use in a Layout Block. Thus instead of getting a parallel line 150mm away from my reference line it can be something very different. Am I missing something or is this a possible bug?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Parallel Lines & Layout Blocks / Viewports

Post by Husky » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:52 am

Hi,
GrowMate wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:56 pm
Am I missing something or is this a possible bug?
Nope and no. :wink:

Model_Space is your main working canvas - all tools are built to a 100% functionality in Model_Space. Paper_Space (Layout Blocks) is more or less only for printing purposes relevant. Yes, there is the one or an other thing what makes sense to draw in Paper_Space (like additional dims, annotation etc.) but relevant design modification has to be done in Model_Space. However - the good thing is that every design modification in Model_Space is immediately updated in Paper_Space sticking precisely to every used scale in all Viewport. No need to have a scale option in Paper_Space for a Parallel Line etc.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:56 am

GrowMate wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:56 pm
... no such feature for parallel lines which often seem to carry forward the last scale use in a Layout Block.
IMHO drawing a parallel line in Model_Space at distance 150 will be 150 drawing units from the reference.
No magic there.

If you really stumbled on a bug that would scale the Option Toolbar Distance by a certain factor carried over from a Layout Block then please attach an example drawing and the steps to reproduce the issue.

Regards,
CVH

GrowMate

Post by GrowMate » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:17 pm

The argument for turning off dimensions in Model Space and entering them in Paper Space is neatly explained in Husky's animation at https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?p=30652. To illustrate the point I attach a couple of sketches I have produced based on his original.

Viewport Scaling_A shows the result of dimensioning in Model Space then opening at different scales in Paper Space. The dimensions come through at different sizes according to the scale of Viewport chosen which is not what I want.

In Viewport Scaling_B I have turned off the dimensions in Model Space and entered them Paper Space. Provided the Auto Box is checked when a dimension is added in Paper Space all dimension get magically resized so that they are identical in size. That's what I want!

I had hoped to illustrate the parallel line 'carryover' issue in one or other of the above drawings but - perversely - have been unable to reproduce it. However if it crops up again I will freeze it immediately and submit it for further inspection !

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:07 pm

GrowMate wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:17 pm
To illustrate the point I attach a couple of sketches I have produced based on his original.
Sorry, GrowMate, nothing was attached ... :wink:
GrowMate wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:17 pm
However if it crops up again ...
Sure, no problem.
Two questions to ask:
- When in the process of drawing a parallel do you switch to Model_Space?
- Does the drawing file in question has 3D elements? Some tools may act weird when Z isnot zero.

Regards,
CVH

GrowMate

Post by GrowMate » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:32 pm

Apologies for the omission - I now attach the two illustrations earlier referred to - Viewport Scaling A & B.

With reference to using parallel lines in Paperspace, my instinct would be to avoid that. However it seems that in Paperspace you can't snap to the centre of a circle. For which reason I used construction lines to determine some circle-centres since the tangent snaps work fine. In repeating the exercise for this posting I seem to have trapped the 'bug' earlier referred to! If you open Viewport Scaling C, Model Space you will find a couple of parallel lines that purport to be 5mm away from the crank-handle when dimensioned, but according to the value in the parallel lines box they are 10mm away!
Attachments
Viewport Scaling_C.dwg
(19.7 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Viewport Scaling_B.dwg
(20.1 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Viewport Scaling_A.dwg
(19.6 KiB) Downloaded 224 times

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:50 pm

Viewport Scaling C:
Lines are drawn at distance 10 and are 10 apart ... Like I said "no magic" there.
Dimension has Linear measurement factor 0.5 and thus the displayed value is 5.

What was the dimension scale in the Options Toolbar when these were created?

Regards,
CVH

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:47 pm

GrowMate wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:32 pm
However it seems that in Paperspace you can't snap to the centre of a circle.
I have no problem with that ...
... But have another problem.

Viewport Scaling C and Hiding/Freezing layers 'Cyan' & 'DIMENSION'
I get an 'intersection' snap for the lower left circle while I get a 'center' snap for the right one.
The lower left becomes a 'center' snap when I Hide/Freeze layer 'Dimension Paper Space'. :shock:

Remind that the tangent snap is related to the relative zero point what may not show swapping from Model to Layout.
Or turns out to be at a different spot.

Regards,
CVH

GrowMate

Post by GrowMate » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:17 pm

Dimension has Linear measurement factor 0.5 and thus the displayed value is 5
Ah yes - I see that now in the Property section. But what caused a factor of 0.5 to be used? Is that not in effect a 'carryover' from Paper Space to Model Space?

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:50 pm

GrowMate wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:17 pm
But what caused a factor of 0.5 to be used? Is that not in effect a 'carryover' from Paper Space to Model Space?
I tried different schemes but couldn't replicate a 'carry over'.
I only noticed that when the Dims option was set to auto in Paper_Space the Scale option is still grayed swapping to Model_Space.
Nevertheless an original scale 1:1 is used for new Dimension entities in Model_Space.

You now know what when to look for, maybe you have more luck than I to catch it in the act. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”