[Solved] Block Attributes not showing in a block array

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ryancousins
Premier Member

[Solved] Block Attributes not showing in a block array

Post by ryancousins » Thu May 19, 2022 7:27 pm

Win10 Pro
QCAD 3.27.6

I'm creating a simple but very non-traditional calendar because I want a specific number of continuous weeks to fit on one letter size page. I have created a block that is a simple rectangle that includes an attribute for the month and day.

If I place the blocks into model space one at a time, everything works as expected. When I place an array of the blocks in, only the block nearest the insertion point has the attribute, even after attempting to synchronize attributes.

Additionally, the set of blocks becomes grouped together, almost like it has been made into it's own new block. If I explode the grouping, then I can select each block on it's own and then all of the attributes show up.

Are either of these the intended operation? I didn't remember it doing these things the last time I used the array feature but my memory is terrible.

I have included the array info in model space.
Attachments
calendar.dxf
(98.44 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Last edited by ryancousins on Fri May 20, 2022 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Block Attributes not showing in a block array

Post by Husky » Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi ryancousins,

honestly - right now I've a hard time to understand what you are trying to accomplice. What is the reason to use Attributes?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu May 19, 2022 9:40 pm

ryancousins wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:27 pm
When I place an array of the blocks in, only the block nearest the insertion point has the attribute, even after attempting to synchronize attributes.
This is correct. A "block array" is a single block reference with a number of columns and rows and column and row distances.
Attributes are usually not very useful with block arrays.

Instead, you might want to simply insert a block as usual and then use the move / copy tool to create an array of individual block references.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Fri May 20, 2022 2:48 am

Husky wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 pm
Hi ryancousins,

honestly - right now I've a hard time to understand what you are trying to accomplice. What is the reason to use Attributes?
I could have just used regular text and it would been just as fast. For whatever reason I used attributes as it’s what I do when I want to have a repeatable value that I use over and over so I went that route by habit. In this case normal text would have been just as well. Either way I have to double click on each instance to create the unique date for each box. I know I can place an indexing number at various predefined points and I thought about going that way but decided not to mess with that.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Fri May 20, 2022 2:49 am

andrew wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:40 pm
ryancousins wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:27 pm
When I place an array of the blocks in, only the block nearest the insertion point has the attribute, even after attempting to synchronize attributes.
This is correct. A "block array" is a single block reference with a number of columns and rows and column and row distances.
Attributes are usually not very useful with block arrays.

Instead, you might want to simply insert a block as usual and then use the move / copy tool to create an array of individual block references.
Makes sense. I guess I had never used the array feature or if I have, I forgot that it works in this manner.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”