[Solved] Load different font

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Richard2952
Newbie Member

[Solved] Load different font

Post by Richard2952 » Wed May 04, 2022 7:59 pm

Would someone please tell me a step by step instruction on how to load a different font. I have searched online and looked in the Qcad book but to no avail. I wish to use a different font other than the Standard font as the standard font will not allow the special character 'ohm symbol' to be used.
operating system windows 11
qcad version 3.27.3
Last edited by Richard2952 on Fri May 06, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Load different font

Post by Husky » Wed May 04, 2022 9:09 pm

Is the desired font already on your computer? Will you use it in the drawing for text or dimension? Do you need it for a new drawings or do you need to change font in existing drawings?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Richard2952
Newbie Member

Post by Richard2952 » Thu May 05, 2022 10:31 am

Hi,
I have looked at the font files in the program and there is a number of them....cxf at the end!!! but I do not know how to make use of them.
I have recently upgraded my PC to windows 11 and bought the latest 64 bit qcad program.
I will only be using it for text and not dimensions. With my last version of Qcad (3.24.3.0) using only the Standard text I could use italics and also I could insert the special character 'ohm' symbol. With this latest version I can not insert either.
Previously I saved all my drawings on a hard drive then when I loaded the new 64 bit version I copied the drawings back to the new PC.
I am not so bothered about editing the old drawings but it would be nice to have the facility to insert text and the 'ohm' symbol into any new drawings I produce. For the vast majority of the time I will only use the Standard text so I will need to be able to switch between fonts easily.
Thank you for replying.
Richard

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu May 05, 2022 8:38 pm

Using the "Standard" CAD font in italic was never supported in any version of QCAD.

Perhaps, it looked like it if the text was formatted inline, for example "\fStandard|b0|i1|c0|p0;0121". However, this sets the TrueType font to "Standard". Since this TrueType font likely doesn't exist on your system, your system substitutes it with another font, for example Arial or similar:
Screenshot 2022-05-05 at 20.58.11.png
Screenshot 2022-05-05 at 20.58.11.png (101.35 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
For Ohm, you can copy / paste this symbol which is available in the Standard font (Unicode 0x03A9):

Ω

Alternatively, you can overwrite your Standard.cxf file under fonts with the one attached which provides the same Ω glyph for Unicode 0x03A9 and Unicode 0x2126. This will also be included in future versions of QCAD (>3.27.4).
Attachments
Standard.cxf
(23.26 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

Richard2952
Newbie Member

Post by Richard2952 » Thu May 05, 2022 9:10 pm

Yes it did look like the 0121 in your screen shot. I thought that was italic.!!!
No idea how to overwrite my Standard.cxf file so I will wait for the next qcad upgrade.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri May 06, 2022 1:13 am

Richard2952 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:10 pm
No idea how to overwrite my Standard.cxf file so I will wait for the next qcad upgrade.
Close QCAD, Download the Standard.cxf file from Andrew into your Windows Download folder. Launch the Windows File manager (Windows Explorer) with the shortcut Windows Key + e, navigate to your Download folder, select the mentioned file, copy it with CTRL + C into your clipboard, navigate to the QCAD folder for the fonts - C:\Program Files\qcad-3.27.3-pro-win64\fonts. Insert into this folder the file from the clipboard with CTRL + V. Allow to overwrite the existing file. Restart QCAD. Use the font ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”