Exception occurred. Entity NOT saved: 3c0

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Wilko500
Newbie Member

Post by Wilko500 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:43 pm

QCAD version: 3.27.1.0 (3.27.1) on MacOS Monterey 12.2.1

This is a new issue (to me) and has started after I successfully created a TitleBlock with multiple attributes. This exception occurs with Save, SaveAs to .dwg format or AutoSave to .dxf format. I created a new blank drawing without TitleBlock and Save/SaveAs works as expected without exception.

In spite of the message changes to the drawing do seem to be saved at least simple changes like lines and shapes. Is there some sort of error log and if so where is it located. The drawing itself is trivial, just a frame with title text/attributes in PaperSpace and a few circles and a rectangle in ModelSpace.

My other more complicated drawings (without Layout TitleBlocks) save as expected so it seems that it is in some way related to this particular drawing???

Command: save
Saved file: /Users/richardwilkinson/Documents/My Drawings/A4Land.dwg
Format: R27 (2013) DWG Drawing (OpenDesign) (*.dwg)

A4Land.dwg attached
Attachments
A4Land.dwg
(20.7 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Exception occurred. Entity NOT saved: 3c0

Post by Husky » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:23 am

Please avoid posting the same question 4 times - it will not speed up any response to it. I deleted the other three identical posting!

Your drawing issue: You managed to created in Paper_Space a Viewport with zero Width and zero Height - I assume by accident. :wink: That is an invalid value and will not be saved by QCAD. Delete this Viewport or change the Width / Height to something greater than zero and you can save the drawing as usual.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Wilko500
Newbie Member

Post by Wilko500 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:49 pm

Husky wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:23 am
Please avoid posting the same question 4 times - it will not speed up any response to it. I deleted the other three identical posting!
I think this is harsh, unnecessary and offensive considering that you don't know what happened. I'll tell you.

I created my post, navigated to and selected my .dwg file to upload and clicked submit. The response was a message "about 20 random chars.gif invalid file format" and the web page frozen for 30-40 seconds. And for the record I did not select a .gif file. Faced with a frozen page and no indication of whether my post had actually been submitted or not I could have killed my browser session (and lost the entire post) or tried to illicit a response by clicking on the page. After the long wait the next message said "you can't post this soon after your last post" but I still had not received any notification that my post had been submitted.

I speculate that some/all of my random clicks were actually "stored" or "actioned" in background but no notifications given. I further speculate that if you noted the timestamps on the multiple postings they would have all been within a few seconds, likely to have been too close together to have been manually submitted.

I had no idea that this had happened. Not me, it was the website e_confused

Ok rant over.

Thank you for identifying the issue with my drawing. You are correct in that it was not intentional to create an invalid entity. However I suggest that there is a weakness in the interface because it should not be possible to do what I appear to have done.

You have told me the solution ie. to delete/resize the offending entity but I don't know how to. I have been unable to find a way to list all my viewports, being zero height/width it is invisible? unselectable?

Strike last para. I found it!!! I did a window selection within the existing viewport and a single blue square appeared in the middle, GP showed it as a viewport with height/width zero, delete and job done.

Thank you for your help

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:56 am

Wilko500 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:49 pm
I had no idea that this had happened. Not me, it was the website e_confused
Thanks for clarification! I owe you one ... :wink:
Wilko500 wrote:
You have told me the solution ie. to delete/resize the offending entity but I don't know how to. I have been unable to find a way to list all my viewports, being zero height/width it is invisible? unselectable?

Strike last para. I found it!!! I did a window selection within the existing viewport and a single blue square appeared in the middle, GP showed it as a viewport with height/width zero, delete and job done.
Great - you figured it out. To make it next time easier you can use the Selection Filter. How? You knew it is in Paper_Space, it's a Viewport and has zero height/width - that's enough information to find it with the Selection Filter ...

Husky-2022.03.08-01.png
Husky-2022.03.08-01.png (26.1 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:18 pm

Wilko500 wrote:
However I suggest that there is a weakness in the interface because it should not be possible to do what I appear to have done.
Agreed, casting null-entities or null-length entities should be avoided.
But that statement is not fully backed by the developer.
These are only meaningfull internally at code level.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”