Index Color vs True Color (for layers) on QCAD and AutoCAD

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

danilo
Newbie Member

Index Color vs True Color (for layers) on QCAD and AutoCAD

Post by danilo » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:16 pm

Currently, I work with autocad 2017 for windows at my job and with QCAD for MacOS at my private practice. So, I have to constantly open the same files in both programs.

As we know, pen widths in AutoCAD are based on external CTB files that assign a width per Index Color (i.e. "red", "yellow", "green", "blue", "cyan", "magenta", or 0, 1, 2, 3 ... 256).

However, whenever I save a drawing with QCAD (either DWG or DXF), the layer colors switch into "True Color" when opened on AutoCAD (i.e. RGB codes, such as "255,0,0" and so on). So, although I see them excactly as I did on QCAD. It SEEMS allright. But it is not. Whenever I have to preview, print or export the drawing at AutoCAD, all layers' colors are set as "True Color" and therefore with unconfigured pen widths.

Is there a way to keep the layer colors encoded as "Index Color" whenever I open the file again on AutoCAD after working with it on QCAD?
Attachments
Capturar-AutoCAD-layers.JPG
Capturar-AutoCAD-layers.JPG (189.82 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
lor-livraria-ep2 (2).dwg
(282.96 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Last edited by danilo on Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Index Color vs True Color (for layers) on QCAD and AutoCAD

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:23 pm

Which QCAD version you are using?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

danilo
Newbie Member

Post by danilo » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:23 pm

QCAD Professional, 3.27.00
Build Nov 30, 2021
Qt Version 5.14.2
Architecture: x86_64
Compiler Clang 10.0.0

But it did happen with previous versions.

danilo
Newbie Member

Post by danilo » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:09 pm

Hi! Any answers? :-)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:57 am

QCAD does not work with color indices internally. When saving, QCAD stores both the color index and the true color value in the file. It looks like Autocad ignores the color index in this case.

The situation could be improved by only storing the color index if there is a matching color index and only storing the true color if there is no matching color index.

There is a small catch though: Autocad has duplicate values in its color index (e.g. both indices 7 and 10 are both red). For QCAD there is no way of knowing if the original file had a color set to index 7 or 10. QCAD would simply choose 7 in this case, possibly altering the original color index.

If you can live with that limitation, this could be implemented.

danilo
Newbie Member

Post by danilo » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:08 pm

Thank you for the answer.
When you say "this could be implemented", you mean that in future versions of QCAD it may be implemented or that I should setup something that I missed? :-)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:15 pm

This means that it's technically possible to implement for a future version of QCAD. I will look into it and see if there are any downsides of this approach.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”