(Solved) Block Names

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

stecoop1
Newbie Member

(Solved) Block Names

Post by stecoop1 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:31 pm

Version 3.26.4.0 (3.26.4)

I've been going a little bit crazy over a problem with block names, but I think I have found the answer/solution. :oops:

The problem I was having is when I insert library objects into a drawing, in the Block List tab, some would be listed by the name I gave them when I created them, but some would be listed as "Block_1, Block_2,...Block_x", making it hard to identify what the block is. :?:

After some careful, though incomplete, testing, I have found that if the filename of the Library object contains a comma (,) or semi-colon (;), the object will appear in the Block List as "Block_x". There may be other characters that cause this behaviour.

Is this a quirk of QCad, a bug, or SOP?

Obviously, I can go through my library files and remove commas and semi-colons from the names, but they do help clarify the name of the object.
Last edited by stecoop1 on Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Block Names

Post by Husky » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:18 pm

stecoop1 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:31 pm
After some careful, though incomplete, testing, I have found that if the filename of the Library object contains a comma (,) or semi-colon (;), the object will appear in the Block List as "Block_x". There may be other characters that cause this behaviour.

You didn't mention your OS but most likely "illegal character" are used in the filenames. An example ....
https://www.mtu.edu/umc/services/websit ... ers-avoid/
stecoop1 wrote:
Obviously, I can go through my library files and remove commas and semi-colons from the names, but they do help clarify the name of the object.
Maybe you can use a batch filename rename program for that boring task ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:35 pm

stecoop1,

Indeed, comma (,) or semi-colon (;) are not allowed.

These are not allowed for layer names:
smallerThen, greaterThen, slash, backSlash, quotationMarks, doublePoint, semiColon, questionMark, asterix, pipe, comma, equalTo, backtick

Simply tryout to create a new block and typing them returns nothing.

QCAD replaces errors by 'Block_x' where x is one larger looking forward sequentially.

Regards,
CVH

stecoop1
Newbie Member

Post by stecoop1 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:57 am

Husky wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:18 pm
stecoop1 wrote:

You didn't mention your OS but most likely "illegal character" are used in the filenames. An example ....
https://www.mtu.edu/umc/services/websit ... ers-avoid/
stecoop1 wrote:
Maybe you can use a batch filename rename program for that boring task ...
My operating system is Windows 10 Pro; it permits a lot of special characters in filenames that QCad doesn't allow in block/layer names; a wee bit annoying, but not world ending. BTW, it would take me longer to write the batch file to fix the names than it would take me to fix the couple of dozen filenames by hand.

stecoop1
Newbie Member

Post by stecoop1 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:01 am

CVH wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:35 pm
stecoop1,

Indeed, comma (,) or semi-colon (;) are not allowed.

These are not allowed for layer names:
smallerThen, greaterThen, slash, backSlash, quotationMarks, doublePoint, semiColon, questionMark, asterix, pipe, comma, equalTo, backtick

Simply tryout to create a new block and typing them returns nothing.

QCAD replaces errors by 'Block_x' where x is one larger looking forward sequentially.

Regards,
CVH
Indeed, I have noticed that QCad limits the use of special characters in block and layer names (ignores them when entered); I just didn't realize it extended to filenames as well. I've been using QCad for over a year and a half, and I'm still learning about it's quirks (special features???).

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: (Solved) Block Names

Post by ryancousins » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:16 am

I have no idea if this is the case, but perhaps the limitations on characters is due to the DXF standard that QCAD typically abides by?

CVH
Premier Member

Re: (Solved) Block Names

Post by CVH » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:58 am

stecoop1 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:01 am
I just didn't realize it extended to filenames as well.
Not really, only the filename is here the block name ... :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”