Erratic Tool Tip Display

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

UncleDoug
Newbie Member

Erratic Tool Tip Display

Post by UncleDoug » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:36 pm

QCAD Professional 3.27.1.0 X86_64 on Linux Mint 20.1

I'm a brand new QCAD user, just beginning to learn the application. I'm finding it quite frustrating that tool tips do not reliably appear on mouseover. One moment they pop up as expected and the next, either as I move the mouse cursor over a different tool in the matrix or when moving back to the matrix from the drawing, nothing happens. Soon after, tool tips will again appear on mouseover, perhaps only for a few seconds or for only a few tools, before vanishing again.

This is the sort of thing that isn't much of a problem for experienced users, but it is a significant issue at the beginning of the learning curve. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Erratic Tool Tip Display

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:18 pm

UncleDoug wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:36 pm
I'm a brand new QCAD user, just beginning to learn the application. I'm finding it quite frustrating that tool tips do not reliably appear on mouseover. One moment they pop up as expected and the next, either as I move the mouse cursor over a different tool in the matrix or when moving back to the matrix from the drawing, nothing happens. Soon after, tool tips will again appear on mouseover, perhaps only for a few seconds or for only a few tools, before vanishing again.
If the tool tip occurs don't move the mouse pointer and the tool tip will stay for about 10 seconds.

UncleDoug wrote:
This is the sort of thing that isn't much of a problem for experienced users, but it is a significant issue at the beginning of the learning curve. Any guidance will be appreciated.
I also recommend to keep an eye on the Status Bar - it will tell you step by step what a tool is expecting from your input. To turn the Status Bar on or off go to Menu / View / Status Bar.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

UncleDoug
Newbie Member

Post by UncleDoug » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:46 pm

Thanks, for the advice, but the problem is that the tool tips don't consistently pop up on mouseover. When they do, they continue to display until the mouse cursor is moved.

When the tool tips don't pop up, the tool tip info doesn't appear in the status bar, either.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:13 pm

UncleDoug wrote:
Erratic Tool Tip Display
Can't replicate the mentioned behavior. Win7 32bit QCAD PRO 3.27.0.0
Tool tips start to display the instant the cursor is steady for a fraction.
The status bar is updated even faster.

Regards,
CVH

UncleDoug
Newbie Member

Post by UncleDoug » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:57 am

Thanks for trying.

The erratic behavior continues on my system.

At the moment, I suspect that this may be a QT issue.

petevick
Premier Member

Post by petevick » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:11 am

UncleDoug wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:57 am
It could well be, which package did you use to install Qcad ?
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.6

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”