parallel line not being drawn/not viible

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

bluerm166
Newbie Member

parallel line not being drawn/not viible

Post by bluerm166 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:06 pm

QCAD Professional 3.25.2
Sept 4 2020 QT 5.13.2
Windows 10 current update
For some reason when I draw a line parallel to an existing line nothing appears,whatever the colour,whether an infinite line or of given length.
I have done this 100s of times previously with the expected success.
Have I inadvertently changed a crucial setting ?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: parallel line not being drawn/not viible

Post by Husky » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:30 pm

Hi,

please doublecheck if your Active Layer (where you are drawing on) isn't invisible, frozen or locked. Do you get any Warnings in the Command Line List?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

bluerm166
Newbie Member

Post by bluerm166 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:44 am

Hi,thanks for looking at this.Should point out that i have been using Qcad for some time without any issues.
I have checked that layers are unlocked and unfrozen.Persists.
Have meanwhile uninstalled and reinstalled new download of 3.27.10.No joy.
Have reinstalled DirectX (in case).No joy.
But have discovered that as well as failing to draw a parallel line ( command line sticks at : choose a line,arc,circle ..........l I cannot draw a circle of stated radius but I can draw a circle passing through a point.
So seems not to be recognising the distance or radius which can be seen typed into the box.
Bizarre.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:06 pm

Hi,
seems there is something off with the Option Toolbar ...

Little test: Enter an equation as distance or radius e.g. '3+4-1'
Does the tooltip displays the result?

Have you tried resetting the QCAD configuration?
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-resetting- ... figuration

Regards,
CVH
Last edited by CVH on Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluerm166
Newbie Member

Post by bluerm166 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:57 pm

Hi,very bizarre.
I tried loading a previous good drawing dxf which appeared normally and in full.
I then made a new drawing (leaving the other open) in which I found I could then use parallel line by distance and circle by radius successfully.
I checked after closing and reopening Qcad and with a new drawing I could straightaway use parallel by distance and circle by radius successfully.
So I will test more extensively to see if there are other or recurring issues.Maybe there is/was something wrong with the saved defaults/pattern for a new drawing.
I will read up on resetting as described ,which I had not come across and deploy this to start with if I find I am back at square one.Will also try the equation.
But this started in 3.25.2 and recurred in 3.27.10 ,loaded fresh a number of times after an uninstall,so I have suspected something to do with Windows 10 ,which has a lot of upgrades,or something else changing on the PC.
Thanks Husky and CVH

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:10 pm

bluerm166 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:57 pm
Hi,very bizarre.
Not reading input from the Options Toolbar has probably nothing to do with Win 10 or its updates.
On top it should work just the same on an old as on a new drawing.

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:59 pm

Hi,
bluerm166 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:57 pm
Hi,very bizarre.
I tried loading a previous good drawing dxf which appeared normally and in full.
I then made a new drawing (leaving the other open) in which I found I could then use parallel line by distance and circle by radius successfully.
I checked after closing and reopening Qcad and with a new drawing I could straightaway use parallel by distance and circle by radius successfully.
So I will test more extensively to see if there are other or recurring issues.Maybe there is/was something wrong with the saved defaults/pattern for a new drawing.
Do you use your own Templates for new drawings or is the new drawings a QCAD default drawing?
If that issue happens again please try to save that particular drawing, post it here in the forum and tell us where the parallel operation failed. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”