[solved] Widgets always appear below main window

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

BadRocket
Newbie Member

[solved] Widgets always appear below main window

Post by BadRocket » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:35 pm

This is my first post, so first let me say Hi! to the community. I purchased QCAD Pro/CAM a few days ago, and it's been awesome -- I'm a long time DraftSight user, but recently switched to Linux, and I was immediately productive on QCAD. I have been really happy with the QCAD feature set, and it was an easy decision to get a full license.

My problem is minor, and I'm sure someone has an simple solution. Widgets such as CommandLine, Property Editor, etc that are not docked (ie, "floating") always appear below the main app window on startup. So, every time I start QCAD, I have to type all the shortcuts to manually show every Widget. What's weird is that the Community Edition works correctly, and the widgets remember their position between restarts.

QCAD Pro/CAM: 3.26.4.0

I spent a lot of time investigating possible solutions:

1) I reinstalled fresh, and also deleted main config QCAD3.conf ==> no effect
2) I tested source scripts mods to override the plugins (e.g., "/scripts/Widgets/CommandLine/CommandLine.js"), and setWindowFlags(), etc ==> no effect
3) I confirmed that View > Toolbars and Widgets > Widgets > items are checked ==> no effect
4) I compiled the community version source code ==> Widgets appear correctly between sessions. (maybe because of newer Qt version?)
5) I checked the Changelog and Bug list, and didn't see any similar reports.

Attached two screenshots demonstrating Widgets appearing correctly in QCAD Community, but not in QCAD Pro. To repeat, it's a minor issue, but every restart I have to manually raise all the windows (mouse clicks aren't possible since app is fullscreen; and yes docking would solve it, but my workflow would be affected).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
01.png
01.png (132.78 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
02.png
02.png (129.39 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
Last edited by BadRocket on Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Widgets always appear below main window

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:58 am

It's very likely the different Qt version that causes this difference in behaviour. You might want to try the package labeled:

"QCAD Professional 3.26.4 for Linux Qt 5.14 64bit (Installer)"

from your download link.

BadRocket
Newbie Member

[solved] Re: Widgets always appear below main window

Post by BadRocket » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:49 am

Yep, confirmed! it was caused by the older Qt version. The more recent Qt 5.14 (and 5.12 in my first post) both work perfectly, while Qt 5.8 in the original download behaves differently.

Thanks for your fast response Andrew, and also for having a download package built with the updated Qt library.

Problem solved!

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”