Dimension Scales different than 1 show infinitesimal in other softwares

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

zilmosantos

Dimension Scales different than 1 show infinitesimal in other softwares

Post by zilmosantos » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm in a great journey of learning and mastering QCAD for professional use.

Last week I bought my first licence of QCAD Professional.

I have a 13+ yr experience as Mechanical Designer and massive Autocad use along these years.

Now I'm in a stage of my career where I'm planning to open a little company and start working at home on my free hours, with the goal to quit my main job as an employee and go by a full time entrepreneur.

What drove me to QCAD:

- The support team /forums

- The licence price

- The similarities with Autocad (edit block in place, layers, viewports)

- Dwg/Dxf file formats m

- I'm considering most commands in QCAD "smarter" than Autocad

So, congrats for all the developers and a big thanks for the amazing QCAD.

Well, now the issue...

In my mechanical drawings, there is a heavy use of blocks, viewports in different scales and a lot of in place edits on blocks.

The in place edit fading issue is running in this post:

viewtopic.php?t=8675

Now I just noticed an issue with the dimension scale, when opened in another softwares (Autocad or it's viewers).

Every dimension that has a different scale than 1, shows an infinitesimal size on other softwares.

As mechanical drawings have viewports in different scales, with details, sections and etc, different scales are applied to the dimensions, as they show up in the layout sheet all the same size, no mattering the scale of the viewport.

So, a viewport with scale 2, will have a dimension scale of 0,5, showing up with the correct size on the layout sheet.

As my work deals with constant integration of existing dwgs of clients (editing, reviewing), and I'll be working on QCAD and sending back the dwg for them, I need that a drawing made/edited with QCAD shows correct dimension scales in other softwares.

The attached files can clarify what I'm meaning. With the same drawing being opened and printed in QCAD and Trueview and what happens with the dimensions that are at different scale than 1. The scales of the left view are 1. The scales of the right are 2, just to show the behavior.

I have already tried saving as dwg of diverse years and opening the files in autocad, trueview, dwg online viewer and the problem persists.

I would be very pleased if someone can help me with this issue, because I would need to have this integration with other softwares.

If I just needed to send my drawings in pdf, that would be no problem. But there are clients that need to receive the dwg/dxf files and have them working properly on Autocad.

Thanks a lot and a great week for all.
Attachments
QCAD DIMENSION SCALE ISSUE - QCAD PRINT.pdf
(240.81 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
QCAD DIMENSION SCALE ISSUE - QCAD DISPLAY.jpg
QCAD DIMENSION SCALE ISSUE - QCAD DISPLAY.jpg (325.16 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
QCAD DIMENSION SCALE ISSUE.dxf
(239.86 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
QCAD DIMENSION SCALE ISSUE - TRUEVIEW DISPLAY.jpg
QCAD DIMENSION SCALE ISSUE - TRUEVIEW DISPLAY.jpg (228 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
QCAD DIMENSION SCALE ISSUE - TRUEVIEW PRINT.pdf
(194.8 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

zilmosantos

Re: Dimension Scales different than 1 show infinitesimal in other softwares

Post by zilmosantos » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:37 pm

andrew wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:19 pm
Thanks. Bug report at:
https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.p ... sk_id=2268
Thank you for the reply, Andrew.

"Autocad requires that all overrides are written to DXF/DWG, not only those that are actually different from the dimension style."

I'll keep watching for the next release. Thank you so much!

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”