mac and pc responsiveness, pc feels slow/laggy

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

westonw
Registered Member

mac and pc responsiveness, pc feels slow/laggy

Post by westonw » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:47 am

Hey guys, just bought the pro version.. I had been on the road and just with my lower end macbook pro and pleasantly happy with QCAD. It was pretty snappy. Doing really really simple overhead drawings/plots. Like extremely simple shapes, nothing complicated.

I got back to home office and installed and fired up qcad on my MUCH more powerful pc workstation and am quite disappointed with the performance of the GUI overall. on the less powerful laptop, zooms and pans and scrolling is snappy and responsive. On the PC with exactly same drawing (or even a fresh blank drawing) the same operations are sluggish and lag behind. It's almost like the gui/drawing refresh rate is cranked down to a really low FPS or something, on the windows version.

Is this a known issue?

I dug through QCAD's settings trying a couple things (threads, etc), and the forms here and am not really finding anything. QCAD is using practically no system resources on either machine which is about what I'd expect. Nothing is overloaded in other words.

suggestions?

macbook is big sur; 2.8ghz 4c i7, 16gb ddr3, intel iris 655 graphics. SSD source
pc is latest Win10; x2 8c xeon e5's 3.3ghz, 256gb ddr3 ha, x2 titan gpus. SSD as well

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: mac and pc responsiveness, pc feels slow/laggy

Post by Husky » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:26 am

Hi westonw - welcome to the QCAD forum.
westonw wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:47 am
Is this a known issue?
No. Not when QCAD was proper installed ...

I never experienced a performance issue with a drawing described like this:
westonw wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:47 am
Doing really really simple overhead drawings/plots. Like extremely simple shapes, nothing complicated.
Please attache to this topic the drawing (dxf or dwg) which caused the QCAD performance issue on your PC or if confidential an example drawing which shows the same issue. I look forward to test it with a standard Win10/64 PC on my side. Thank you.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Re: mac and pc responsiveness, pc feels slow/laggy

Post by andrew » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:11 am

I'd start by resetting your configuration:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-resetting- ... figuration

Please report back if the default settings also show that problem.

Preferences that can have a performance impact are mainly under:
Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Appearance > Display and Performance

Try to lower the number of threads, disable full resolution for high resolution displays, disable anti-aliasing. Also: how large is your screen and do you run QCAD in full screen mode? If so, try to run QCAD as a smaller windows to check if that has an impact.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”