[solved] Not copying a layer

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

spectric

[solved] Not copying a layer

Post by spectric » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi

Have been getting on very well with Qcad and learning all the time, things were going very smoothly but have hit a problem I cannot resolve.

I have a drawing showing a plan view and face view on five layers. Switching off each layer turns of the components on that layerso I know all components are on the layers I intended. This drawing is the basis for library components for re use in multiple drawings so I have placed each drawing view into the library which now shows the two items. When I import one of the components it is fine, but when using the other it is missing a layer.

So back into the original drawing of these components and when I import the components from the library into this drawing one is identical but the other is still missing a layer. It is a layer that is used by both components but is not showing on just one when it is in the library.

Can you please advise

thanks Roy

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Not copying a layer

Post by ryancousins » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:19 pm

Can you attach the DXF so someone can look at that? Also, what version of QCAD are you running?

With 3.26.1 on Win10, I just messed around creating all sorts of different library items with different layers and I don't think I can recreate this issue. One thing I did notice:

Create some geometry. Geometry belongs to layer "x".
Create library item from selection.
Open new DXF file and import the library item.
Layer x is generated in the new DXF file.
If I delete layer x, and then re-import the same library item, it won't re-create the layer x and therefore that geometry will not appear.
If I delete the block that the library import created and then re-import that library item, it will then again re-create the layer x in my drawing.

But unless you're deleting layers I don't think this is a related issue.

spectric

Post by spectric » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:49 pm

Hi

I am running 3.26.1 on Windows 10.

Attached is the drawing file from which I am producing the library components. When you select the lower view and import into the library it is fine but do the same with the top view and there is a layer missing.

Thanks Roy
Attachments
Sink unit construction.dxf
(183.39 KiB) Downloaded 463 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:23 pm

The block "Sink supports plan view" is broken for some reason. Block reference is way off and you can only find it by accident ...

spectric wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:49 pm
When you select the lower view and import into the library it is fine but do the same with the top view and there is a layer missing.
I assume your selection was done with a rectangle selection - that fails for this block. Same block picked with a single mouse click would work. Why? I don't know!

Solution:
Select the block "Sink supports plan view",
copy with reference (lower left corner) to the clipboard,
open a new empty drawing,
paste the clipboard content to 0,0
explode,
selected all,
Create block from selection,
reference lower left corner,
block name same like before "Sink supports plan view",
select and copy this block to the clipboard,
switch the active drawing to the original drawing,
paste clipboard content, option overwrite blocks, place it correctly to the upper view,
selected the whole upper view,
create library item,
... should work now. e_surprised

Try it out - tell us how it works - report the problem with example drawing to the bugreport website ... :wink:
www.qcad.org/bugtracker
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

spectric

Post by spectric » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:52 pm

Hi

Unfortunately this does not work, what it copies is just the missing layer and nothing else. I will try further attemps and post the outcome. Worst case I will copy the usable components and then delete all the other files and redraw from the begining to get a new drawing and library parts.

thanks Roy

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:32 pm

spectric wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:52 pm
Hi

Unfortunately this does not work, ...
This doesn't work ... ? :shock:

Sink unit construction_mod.dxf
(184.35 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

spectric

Post by spectric » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:45 pm

Hi

Have downloaded the mod version and it is the same, so if this works ok on your system then that suggest the issue lies with my setup or something not right this end, would you agree?

Thanks Roy

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:24 am

spectric wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:45 pm
... the issue lies with my setup or something not right this end, would you agree?
Yes, I agree!

My created library item provides all entities and all layer. Just how a library item has to work. Which one of the layer isn't working for you?

spectric

Post by spectric » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi

It is the layer called "additional sink supports" and colored orange.

I have tried everything but if it is ok your end then there must be something different or wrong my end, but what?

thanks Roy

spectric

Post by spectric » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:25 pm

Hi

Taking a more logical approach and trying to rebuild this component I can now add the following information.

1) Turn off all layers except the " additional sink supports" in orange.
2) Select this component
3) Export into library and pick the reference point.
4) It displays in library correctly and can be imported back into the drawing with no issues.

5) Now turn on "main frame" layer
6) This shows two additional components in blue, one on the left and other to the right.
7) Select all.
"8") Export into library and pick the reference point.
9) Only the "main frame" layer displays in the library
10) Only the "main frame" layer can be imported into the drawing from the library

For some reason the " additional sink supports" layer has not be selected or placed into the library.

I think this might have focused where the issue lies and what has gone wrong.

spectric

Post by spectric » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi

Tried another approach.

Selected the orange and blue layers, created a block from them but again the orange layer fails to become part of that block.

It seems that orange layer is only ok on it's own, with anything else it fails to take part.

spectric

Post by spectric » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:06 pm

More info

I thought that if I move all items on the orange layer, "additional sink supports" onto a new layer, delete that original layer then maybe it would be a solution.

So created a new layer, new name and new color. Selected an object on the old layer and in properties changed it's layer onto the new one. Result is that the object retained color of old layer and visibility can be turned on/off by either new or old layer. If I create a new object it does take the new layers color. Then I edited the block itself and moved that to the new layer within the property editor and now all seems ok. All ojects moved to new layer and taken on that layers color and visibility only set by that new layer, so deleted the old orange layer "additional sink supports" . Now changed the new layers name back to "additional sink supports" and color to orange so all now looks the same as before. Now selected the object like before and placed into the library and that now seems to work ok. But although I have corrected the issue I do not really know where the problem was, I would really like to know where I went wrong or if it was something else so that I do not repeat or experience the same issue again. Going to reread the manual and look at blocks and libraries, two areas that I though I now understood.

Roy

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:24 pm

Hi Roy,
spectric wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:06 pm
But although I have corrected the issue I do not really know where the problem was, I would really like to know where I went wrong or if it was something else so that I do not repeat or experience the same issue again.
I have the feeling there is a rectangle selection issue. I'll file a bug report.
https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.p ... sk_id=2214

spectric

Post by spectric » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:33 pm

Hi

Thanks for the assistance and filing a bug report. I can see why it could be a selection issue because it was not selecting all objects but actually being selective in leaving out my layer.

thanks Roy

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:31 am

This is caused by a zero length line at 974.824495,496.265552 (block coordinates). Please refer also to the bug tracker for more information.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”