Cursor not visible for geometry selection on external monitors

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ACM_Doug

Cursor not visible for geometry selection on external monitors

Post by ACM_Doug » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:05 pm

I am running the latest version of QCAD Pro on Windows 10 on a Microsoft surface tablet. If I run QCAD on the laptop screen, I have no problems with the cursor. If QCAD is running in a window on one of my external monitors, the cursor is not visible during functions that require me to select geometry. This is extremely annoying. Apart from this issue, I am loving QCAD.

UPDATE: I just discovered that if I make one the external monitors the main monitor, the cursor becomes visible on that monitor. However, the font sizes of some of the dialogue windows then gets larger.

Looking for a fix.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Cursor not visible for geometry selection on external monitors

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:23 am

Could you please indicate which cursor exactly is not visible on one of the monitors? It that the arrow cursor (e.g. for selecting tools and picking entities) or the crosshair cursor (for picking coordinates) or another one or all cursors? Also, does this only affect the graphics view area or is it also not visible when the cursor is for example on a menu or toolbar? Thanks.

ACM_Doug

Post by ACM_Doug » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi, Andrew. I am referring to the cross-hairs menu used for geometry selection in functions like parallel line creation. I use my laptop with two external monitors, so I am displaying on all three monitors. The crosshairs show up fine on whichever monitor is designated as the "main" monitor in the Win10 display settings but not on the other two monitors.

The arrow cursor that is used outside the graphics window performs fine on all three monitors.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:00 pm

OK, thanks for the details. How about the arrow cursor inside the graphics view used to pick / select entities? Thanks. Still trying to determine if it's a problem with the cursor used or with the graphics view.

ACM_Doug

Post by ACM_Doug » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:05 pm

When I move the cursor into the graphics window during geometry selection on any monitor other than the main monitor, it disappears completely. The only way I can select geometry is to try to get the entity to change colour.

However, if no function is active and I want to select something for an operation such as move, copy, delete, etc., the arrow cursor remains visible.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 pm

It sounds like custom cursors are not working on the external monitors of your system. Unfortunately, that would be a bug in either Qt (the toolkit QCAD is based on) or something underlying that cannot be fixed in QCAD.

What I could do is provide a workaround. A preference to disable all custom cursors and only use standard cursors. I'll look into that.

ACM_Doug

Post by ACM_Doug » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:02 pm

Thank you. Please let me know.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:48 pm

I've sent you an e-mail with a download link for a snapshot release (3.26.0.1) which might provide a workaround for this issue.

The new preference is:
Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Appearance > Use system cursors

Once ticked, please restart QCAD for the changes to take effect. The system crosshair cursor is then used instead of the QCAD specific custom cursor.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”