Line through middle of a rectangle

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

John L
Newbie Member

Line through middle of a rectangle

Post by John L » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:53 pm

I have just purchased QCAD v3.24.2 together with the instruction book 'Introduction to CAD' by Andrew Mustun. On working through the examples in Chap 3, Pt 2 when attempting to draw the vertical line as detailed in the book the line extends through the top and bottom lines of the rectangle, this is when following all the instructions closely on many attempts. I notice that the toolboxes as shown in the book differ from those which appear on my screen and assume there has been an update. Can anyone tell me if there is an update to the instructions and if so where these can be obtained, and where I am apparently going wrong.

This is not a very good introduction to an application where problems like this appear from the very beginning.

I am working on an AppleMac with OS 10.14.6

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

JohnL

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Line through middle of a rectangle

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:33 pm

It looks like your QCAD installation has already been used and some of the default settings have been changed.

You might want to reset QCAD to its factory settings before you proceed:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-resetting- ... figuration

To just solve the problem at hand, click the "Line Segment" button in the options toolbar when drawing lines:
Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 17.31.03.png
Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 17.31.03.png (16.59 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
It appears, you might have accidentally (?) activated the "Infinite Line" mode instead.

John L
Newbie Member

Re: Line through middle of a rectangle

Post by John L » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Hello Andrew
The problem seems to have sorted itself out now and I am continuing using with the lessons.

Many thanks

John L

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”