Problem about changing copy of block

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

kuorobin
Registered Member

Problem about changing copy of block

Post by kuorobin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:41 am

Ver. 3.18.1, OS:win7
Hello, I got a problem about changing the copy of block. After I copy & paste a block, trying to change the clone, then return to main drawing. I found that the original block also changed. I've tried to move the clone to other layer or change the properties of the clone but in vain. Can anybody told me how to solve this problem? Thanks!

Robin

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Problem about changing copy of block

Post by andrew » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:07 am

If you select and copy a block in the main drawing, you are actually copying a "block reference". That's like a pointer to a block, not the actual block. A block reference to "MyBlock" basically tells QCAD "display block "MyBlock" here with a given scale, rotation, etc.". Copying a block reference just creates another reference to the very same block.

If you want to create a new, independent block, you have to copy the block, not the block reference. You can duplicate a block in the block list:
- View > Block List
- Right-click on the block and choose Copy Block
- QCAD creates a new block, with a new name and initially the same contents as the original block. You can now insert that new block and edit it, etc.

kuorobin
Registered Member

Post by kuorobin » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks for your explanation. That is to say, if I want to create some blocks of little differences, I still have to create the same number of blocks, then edit them, right? It can't just like copying simple shapes and editing them directly, right?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:58 pm

Yes. You can only use the same block multiple times if you wish to display the exact same contents with perhaps a different scale, rotation and position. Colors of entities in blocks can also vary (attribute value "By Block").

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”