Linetyp not recognizable in Model Space

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Linetyp not recognizable in Model Space

Post by Husky » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:06 am

Hi,

I would like to use "fancy" Linetypes like Batting as a visual reminder that I don't forget to doublecheck a designated area in my drawing. If I use a circle with the Linetyp Batting I see in my drawing still a simple line and not this batting. In Printview mode I can see the correct linetyp. What can I do to see this batting also in my Model Space?

Model Space
Husky-2015.10.15-02.png
Husky-2015.10.15-02.png (3.79 KiB) Viewed 11767 times
Print Preview
Husky-2015.10.15-03.png
Husky-2015.10.15-03.png (11.87 KiB) Viewed 11767 times
Test Lintyp Batting.dxf
(105.65 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Linetyp not recognizable in Model Space

Post by andrew » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:12 am

Complex linetypes are shown as continuous in draft mode and if screen-based linetypes are used.

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:07 pm

Ok, then alternative I will use a Ring ... :wink:
Husky-2015.10.15-01.png
Husky-2015.10.15-01.png (7.59 KiB) Viewed 11749 times
Thanks Andrew!
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

keithwins

Post by keithwins » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:28 am

I understand from this post that I may only see batting linetypes in print preview, but I don't even see them there. Any clues as to what's going on? I've got a separate "insulation" layer, with linetype set to batting. I draw a line or circle or anything on it, set linetype to bylayer, and nothing happens. I've got QCad Pro. Thanks for any help.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:48 am

Hello keithwins - welcome to the forum.
keithwins wrote:I understand from this post that I may only see batting linetypes in print preview, but I don't even see them there. Any clues as to what's going on? I've got a separate "insulation" layer, with linetype set to batting. I draw a line or circle or anything on it, set linetype to bylayer, and nothing happens. I've got QCad Pro. Thanks for any help.
Maybe just a question of the chosen Lightweight - play with the Lightweight and if you are still not able to see the batting please post an example drawing for testing. Thanks.

Edit:
Thinking about this: Activated "Draft Mode" or "Screen-based Linetypes" could also lead to this effect. Please check the status (below Menu / View) and if activated turn them off for your testing.

keithwins

Post by keithwins » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:35 pm

I've tried lineweight, confirmed that draft mode and screen-based linetypes, in print preview and in the model, and I have yet to see batting. Interestingly, when I edit layer properties to change linetype of my insulation layer to batting, the batting shows up properly in the linetype list: this was not true yesterday, when it just showed up as a couple dots. Thanks for any help!
Attachments
Batting test.dxf
(98.74 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:59 pm

The line has its linetype attribute set to "By Layer". However, the line is on layer "0" and the linetype of layer "0" is "continuous".

You can change the layer of the line as follows:
- Select the line
- Change the layer in the property editor to "Insulation"

keithwins

Post by keithwins » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Thank you. I don't think I missed that yesterday, and don't see how I did today. But that resolves it. Thanks! A bunch!

keithwins

Post by keithwins » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Ah! I now see that the batting line type doesn't work correctly in my original file, a dxf I created in a different program. If I copy all, and paste it in to a new file in QCad, it works. Even as I have it working in the new file, it doesn't in the old. This is after a couple restarts, and the current version (3.16.4.0). Just fyi. I have a slightly older file, from which the attached (failing) file derives, and batting works in that. Go figure.
Attachments
air sealing tub detail 8b.dxf
(117.34 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Last edited by keithwins on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi,

this example drawing has the wrong System for "Measurement System (for line types and hatch patterns)".
Husky-2017.01.13-03.png
Husky-2017.01.13-03.png (24.34 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
Please adjust that to "Imperial" and everything is good ... :wink:
Menu / Edit / Drawing Preferences

keithwins

Post by keithwins » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:05 am

Interesting! Since I already copied it into a new QCad-originated document, I don't need to work with that one any further (and risk other strange problems due to provenance of that document).

I actually copied the drawing "into" the "Paper_space" block in the new file, I subsequently realized. Frankly, this is quite confusing to me. I have been thinking of blocks as analogous to groups and components in other programs, but the way things appear and disappear depending on what I've selected in the Block List, they seem more like layers. I'm not familiar with ACad, in case that's what this is like, but I've had at least a little exposure to a zillion other drafting packages (Vectorworks, Sketchup, TurboCad, etc). Is there some easy way to understand this or somewhere you can point me to make sense of it? Thanks again!

Hmm. Maybe it's beginning to make sense. Blocks contain blocks. Model_space & paper_space are perhaps provided mostly to help people notice they can do that? I guess what's interestingly different to what I'm expecting is that you are always drawing in/editing a block. As such, I suppose I should put the model in Model space, and I can copy that block into as many "paperspaces" as I want. So perhaps my question becomes: is there a good description of an optimized workflow using this approach? I think of the advantages of multiple layouts as being able to control scale, lineweights, etc individually. I can't quite see a way to do that here, though perhaps Linetype Scale is part of the answer...

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:46 am

keithwins wrote:Interesting! Since I already copied it into a new QCad-originated document, ...
A new QCAD drawing is based on the settings below "Application Preferences". Please check the settings for your Units and
Measurement System ...
Husky-2017.01.13-01.png
Husky-2017.01.13-01.png (26.11 KiB) Viewed 10593 times
.... a copy / past Clipboard content will not change this settings!
keithwins wrote:I actually copied the drawing "into" the "Paper_space" block in the new file, I subsequently realized. Frankly, this is quite confusing to me. I have been thinking of blocks as analogous to groups and components in other programs, but the way things appear and disappear depending on what I've selected in the Block List, they seem more like layers. I'm not familiar with ACad, in case that's what this is like, but I've had at least a little exposure to a zillion other drafting packages (Vectorworks, Sketchup, TurboCad, etc). Is there some easy way to understand this or somewhere you can point me to make sense of it? Thanks again!
Maybe this brief explanation will point you in the right direction: http://www.ribbonsoft.com/doc/qcad/2.2/ ... r04.html#4
keithwins wrote:Hmm. Maybe it's beginning to make sense. Blocks contain blocks. Model_space & paper_space are perhaps provided mostly to help people notice they can do that? I guess what's interestingly different to what I'm expecting is that you are always drawing in/editing a block. As such, I suppose I should put the model in Model space, and I can copy that block into as many "paperspaces" as I want. So perhaps my question becomes: is there a good description of an optimized workflow using this approach? I think of the advantages of multiple layouts as being able to control scale, lineweights, etc individually. I can't quite see a way to do that here, though perhaps Linetype Scale is part of the answer...
Maybe you like to check out the rest of the already mentioned QCAD Website regarding "Basic CAD Concepts".
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/doc/qcad/2.2/ ... ter04.html

Short explanation to your thoughts ....
Your Model belongs into the "Model (*Model_Space)",
If you create a Block QCAD will automatically take care of the correct place to store it in this drawing - you will find it in the "Block List",
You are also able to delete or edit a block in this Block List,
Layer are used to organize and structure a drawing (please check also Basic CAD Concepts). They are able to handle Attributes like Color, Lineweight, and Linetype.

A basic Layer List could look like this one:
Husky-2017.01.13-06.png
Husky-2017.01.13-06.png (10.8 KiB) Viewed 10592 times
They are not meant and not able to handle a scale. Common practice is to draw everything in 1:1. If you need to scale a drawing for printing etc. you can do so during the Printing process.

Hope this helps a little bit .... :wink:

keithwins

Post by keithwins » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 am

Yes, thanks, your comments and links were helpful. I was confused about the idea that all editing is done inside the "Model_space" block, but it's beginning to make sense. I'm going to catch up on my reading now, thanks for the help!

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”