Changing linescale

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Richard2952
Newbie Member

Changing linescale

Post by Richard2952 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:45 pm

I have recently updated to 3.29.6 and have issues as follows.
Sometimes I can not change linescale of hidden lines.
When I did an Edit copy with reference then pasted into new drawing every time I clicked on the pasted drawing it would be deleted.
Program crashed completely the other day and I nearly died of fright thinking I'd lost everything. Screen came up with all sorts of messages that I didn't understand so I didn't know how to deal with them. Closed program down and then found that link on desktop had also disappeared.
Gave up and left it for a day. Started Qcad in a different way today and it came back up and all drawings still there. However still have problems sometimes when changing linescale of hidden lines and other weird problems that were never there before.
Attachments
Timber Framework Excl Base & End Frames 3.dxf
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (340.38 KiB) Viewed 265 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Changing linescale

Post by andrew » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:18 pm

Richard2952: Please post new, unrelated questions to a new topic. I've split up the topic you have replied to.
However still have problems sometimes when changing linescale of hidden lines and other weird problems that were never there before.
Please describe your issue(s) in details, outline how you proceed, what you are expecting to happen and what happens instead, so we can help efficiently, thank you.

Richard2952
Newbie Member

Post by Richard2952 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:25 am

Morning Andrew.
I did not start a new post as I was just replying to someone who was also having issues. Just bringing to your attention that he was not alone.
Please advise if you still want me to re-submit the problems that I have recently encountered and attach the drawing file once again.
Regards
Richard

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:34 am

If you could elaborate on
However still have problems sometimes when changing linescale of hidden lines and other weird problems that were never there before
That would be helpful, thanks.

Richard2952
Newbie Member

Post by Richard2952 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:25 pm

Let us look at one issue at a time. A couple of days ago I was working on the drawing (already attached as above).
I drew a hidden line as normal and then went to the property editor to change the linescale from 1 to 200 so it could be viewed on my drawing.
I changed the value to 200 and pressed enter, as normal, but the line property did not change. The line remained as a normal '0' line. I checked the property editor once again and it said that the line was 'hidden' with a scale of 200 but it was not. Usually if you place a hidden line on top of a normal straight line and then click on the line it is obvious that there are two lines on top of one another. So I am aware that that can happen but in this case it was a single straight line. I saved the drawing and closed down Qcad waited a few minutes then restarted. I clicked on the hidden line again, changed the value and hooray the line changed to as it should be.
If I was more computer literate I might be able to get an error log or something when it happens again but my computer skills are limited and I am just about keeping my head above water as it is !!!
I have taken to saving my work more often than usual on a separate drive so in the event of a mishap I'll at least have a copy of all my drawings.
Keep up the good work.... Qcad is brilliant!!
Regards
Richard

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 am

Thank you for that information.

Unfortunately, this is too fuzzy to be reproducible or to start looking into it. Please let us know if it happens again and in what situation.

Saving often is an excellent idea (with any software on any system). Also save under a new name frequently to avoid losing data from accidentally deleting parts of your drawing and then saving (e.g. save as "mydrawing_v001.dxf", "mydrawing_v002.dxf", etc. after every larger change).

Using a fully automated backup system to backup your disk to an external drive with "Time Machine" under macOS or "Backup and Restore" under Windows is also a must and only a matter of a few minutes to set up.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”