DWG Import Fail

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Jay-H
Newbie Member

DWG Import Fail

Post by Jay-H » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:10 pm

Hi Im trying to open a document saved by micro survey I can open it in every program I have access to that can handle a dwg/dxf except for Qcad(pro version 3.27.6.0) I've tried to open it in Autodesk 2018/2013dwg as well as ASCII/binary DXF I get the same result each time a popup that says "Cannot open file "S:\Projects\2269 Ramm Johsten Rd\PRE CALC\2269_resave.dwg" "Import failed." It seems to Be a Qcad specific issue. I've already uninstalled and re installed the program. any help/guidance is appreciated.
Attachments
Qcad import fail.png
Qcad import fail.png (137.73 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
2269_resave.dxf
(308.66 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
2269_resave.dwg
(49.37 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
2269_NewCalc_20220909.dwg
(51.47 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: DWG Import Fail

Post by Husky » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:30 pm

Hi,

those drawing contain 3D (Z) information. QCAD is a 2D program. You can flatten the drawings with Menu/Misc/Modify/Flatten drawing to 2D.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:21 pm

I cannot reproduce the problem with opening the file here. What exact platform are you on (Windows version, 32bit, 64bit)?

Can you try to copy the file to your Desktop? There could be a permission problem or it could be locked.

Jay-H
Newbie Member

Post by Jay-H » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:33 pm

So after a little experimentation. It would appear that the issue is with my OS,(win 10 pro x64) my specific installation of Qcad, or my hardware. I got 2 co-workers to open it on there machines(win11 pro and Linux Mint) and it opens just fine, but I cant open drawings from them. I'm really at a loss as to wear to go from here, I've been looking for issues with my PC but I don't even know what to look for, and every other program on my PC runs as expected. Does anyone know what causes this specific message to appear? maybe that will help me narrow down the issue.

Jay-H
Newbie Member

Post by Jay-H » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:48 pm

Husky wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:30 pm
Hi,

those drawing contain 3D (Z) information. QCAD is a 2D program. You can flatten the drawings with Menu/Misc/Modify/Flatten drawing to 2D.

Its not just 3D documents I cant open, I cant open ones that have been flattened either, regardless. I have yet to run into an issue with 3d line information, Qcad is not a 2D only modeling program. I cant open the document in the first place so using the flatten command is impossible

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:59 pm

Jay-H wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:48 pm
Its not just 3D documents I cant open, I cant open ones that have been flattened either, regardless.
Like Andrew I have no problems to open those example drawings regardless the 3D information. I'm on a Win10 OS. Did you try Andrews suggestion?
andrew wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:21 pm
Can you try to copy the file to your Desktop? There could be a permission problem or it could be locked.
Your screenshot shows a paths to S:. Is that directly on your computer or on an extern drive?
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Jay-H
Newbie Member

Post by Jay-H » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:40 am

Husky wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:59 pm
Jay-H wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:48 pm
Its not just 3D documents I cant open, I cant open ones that have been flattened either, regardless.
Like Andrew I have no problems to open those example drawings regardless the 3D information. I'm on a Win10 OS. Did you try Andrews suggestion?
Husky wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:59 pm
Your screenshot shows a paths to S:. Is that directly on your computer or on an extern drive?
the S:. location is the an HDD mounted to Bus 3, but I get the same results if I try to open the documents from either of my native SSD's or any of my other disks or removable drives. I haven't tried opening from a remote drive but I doubt that would be fruitful. I tried opening it from desktop but I got the same result i checked the permissions and everything seem right, so I don't think its that

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:12 am

Ok, thanks for clarification. Which Qcad packet (Installation packet) is used for the installation? Please tell me the entire file name.

Jay-H
Newbie Member

Post by Jay-H » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:05 pm

Husky wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:12 am
Ok, thanks for clarification. Which Qcad packet (Installation packet) is used for the installation? Please tell me the entire file name.
I installed with a package from a coworker, it was zipped in W.I.N.E. and I had to use a 3rd party utility to unpack it. The file name is qcad-3.27.6-pro-win64. I can send you a drive link to the unzipped files if that will help. were should I get a fresh install pack from?

Q_RIS
Newbie Member

Post by Q_RIS » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:03 am

Jay-H wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:33 pm
I got 2 co-workers to open it on there machines(win11 pro and Linux Mint) and it opens just fine, but I cant open drawings from them.
That usually happens if you open a drawing in AutoCAD and then try to open the same drawing in QCAD. Even if you open a different drawing afterwards in QCAD it aint gonna work(Import fails). You have to close the drawing in AutoCAD(it's not necessary to close AutoCAD itself). Close QCAD and then open QCAD again. Now it's possible to open the drawing in QCAD.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:37 am

Q_RIS wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:03 am
That usually happens if you open a drawing in AutoCAD and then try to open the same drawing in QCAD.
What would mean that ACAD locks the drawing.
Q_RIS wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:03 am
Even if you open a different drawing afterwards in QCAD it aint gonna work
Very odd because I don't think that other drawings will be locked too.
What would mean that ACAD locks the source path and/or that QCAD locks up. :shock:
Jay-H wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:05 pm
were should I get a fresh install pack from?
A single QCAD licence is personally, one should not distribute personal copies.
A fresh install pack can be sourced from the general download area:
https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/download
For QCAD PRO you need to buy a licence and then you can download an installation package from your personal download area:
https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/online-shop
One can also buy a site license so that you and up to 20 coworkers on one site can use QCAD. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”