[Solved] Block Editor is Locked Up!

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

davethebari
Newbie Member

[Solved] Block Editor is Locked Up!

Post by davethebari » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:26 am

I've just been messing with blocks, their creation and use.
I'm using the latest QCAD, in Windows 10 Pro.
I've created several blocks and placed references to them in various layers of a project, However suddenly any attempt to deal with an existing block fails, with the message "Cannot edit block while editing a block-in-place".
About the only thing I can do is make a copy of a block. Trying to do anything with the copy suffers the same fate.
I had done an edit of a block, and I suspect that I've done something stupid that has left the system in a state that it thinks the block editor is still editing something, but I can't find out what All the blocks appear to be clear of being involved in any eaditing. I've tried saving the file, closing QCAD and opening the same file, all to no avail. I can't find any indication - in the application or documentation - of a command to close the block editor. Is there one in QCAD?
I'm new to QCAD, have had 40 years of programming experience - mostly technical stuff from FORTRAN to C++, Java, Scheme, etc. etc. -for control systems, data analysis etc. Now retired, finding interesting things to do.
Would appreciate any thoughts on my problem.
Attached is the offending file.
Attachments
BMW-Sanden Assembly Blocks Trial.dxf
(382.47 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Last edited by davethebari on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Block Editor is Locked Up!

Post by CVH » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 am

Can't help you much here.
QCAD crashed several times ...

What I finally have done is exploded the 'BMW Tray' blocks.
Set all layers to show and thaw.
Then I merged all selectable (TA) to a new drawing.

BTW, one usually doesn't use the 'Defpoints' layer to draw on. :wink:

Regards,
CVH
Attachments
BMW-Sanden Assembly Reverted.dxf
(376.69 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:20 am

@davethebari

Is this what you are looking for ... ?
BMW-Sanden Assembly Blocks Trial_mod.dxf
(344.45 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

davethebari
Newbie Member

Post by davethebari » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:18 pm

Thanks, Guys. I guess I handed you a pile of mess - it was a drawing that I had been messing about with over a few weeks, so it got a bit full of crap!
However, i did just what you did, CVH - copied all the stuff into a new file. That got rid of the problem with the block editor seeming to be locked up. But what a way to have to go! However, in the same file, you will find my next problem - which is also in Husky's modified version of my file.
If you select a block and try to insert it in a particular layer, it doesn't work, but it seems to do a very strange thing. A reference to the block IS inserted, but I have no idea into what! I'll describe a simple case:-
1. Create a block - let's call it Block A - in Layer Alpha.
2. Ensure that the intended recipient layer - let's call it Layer Beta - is the only layer visible, and is active.
2. Select Block A and issue the command to insert it (into Layer Beta).
3. Select a point in Layer Beta where you want the reference to Block A to go.
Nothing appears in Layer Beta. However, if you make Layer Alpha visible, Block A appears at the coordinates selected. BUT ONLY AS LONG AS BOTH LAYER ALPHA AND LAYER BETA ARE VISIBLE. IF EITHER LAYER IS HIDDEN, BLOCK A IS NOT VISIBLE.
I've created a very simple drawing that illustrates this mysterious situation. 'Dave's Mystery Example' is attached.
Cheers
Attachments
Dave's Mystery Example.dxf
(99.44 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:33 pm

Hi,
All entities live on a certain layer.

To show them, and the layer with the block reference entity, and the entities layers must be visible.

Please post one question per topic ... See forum rules at top. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

davethebari
Newbie Member

Post by davethebari » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:59 pm

Sorry about that, CVH. I'll declare this subject 'solved', although it seems to me that having to overcome the 'locked up' problem involves building a new drawing by copying seems crazy. Surely there should be a way either (a) preventing the situation happening, or (b) providing a command that straightened it out.
I will, if needed, start a new stream on my follow-up question.
Your response indicates a requirement that I have not found in the documentation. If I read you right, my Layer Alpha should never have anything in it other than the one block created on it. That seems illogical to me. Am I correct?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:44 am

davethebari wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:59 pm
Surely there should be a way either (a) preventing the situation happening, or (b) providing a command that straightened it out.
You are the first and so far the only one who faced this issue. I've no idea how it was triggered! To prevent eventually this situation in upcoming QCAD versions the developer needs to know exactly what you did to trigger this "lock up". Please explain step by step what you did prior the lock up so that it is reproducible for everyone. With your shared knowledge the developer knows exactly where to look at and I'm sure, if necessary, they will find a solution. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

davethebari
Newbie Member

Re: [Solved] Block Editor is Locked Up!

Post by davethebari » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:33 am

Hi Husky.
Sorry - I was messing about trying all sorts of things, and I have no idea exactly when the problem condition was created, or what I was doing when it was created. I do realise that preventing the occurrence might be difficult without knowing how it occurred, so perhaps the creation of a command to clear whatever it is that tells the system the editor is editing -when the user is not editing (presumably there is a flag attached to something that stores the indication of the editor 'editing' ) would be the easiest way to go.
One of these days I might get into QCAD's programming, but I think that should wait until I have a better grasp of QCAD can do and how to do things with it!

CVH
Premier Member

Re: [Solved] Block Editor is Locked Up!

Post by CVH » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:42 am

Husky wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:44 am
You are the first and so far the only one who faced this issue.
Remember my 'battle' with 'Edit Block in Place' after using it once:
https://qcad.org/bugtracker/index.php?d ... sk_id=2179

Every file that is open in conjuction with such a file suffers the same faith.
I made the repair in a stand alone installation. Wiped everything afterwards.
Only that assures me that I still can write scripts and debug them. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”