Looking for best practices in drawing elevation views of an architectural floor plan

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

DanRom624
Newbie Member

Looking for best practices in drawing elevation views of an architectural floor plan

Post by DanRom624 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:49 pm

Hello.
I'm interested in drawing the elevation views of some architectural floor plans that I've drawn during the past few weeks.
Where could I find some tutorials about it? Or a list of best practices?
I've been googling it for days, and in many different ways, but with no success...

For instance, I was also wondering if it is possible to "link" some parameters of the floor plan to those of the relevant elevation view.
Say, if I change the length of a wall in a floor plan, is there a way to have it automatically modified on its relevant elevation view?

Or the position of a piece of furniture... If I move it around the floor, is there a way to automatically move it by the same quantity within the relevant elevation(s)?
(BTW, I perfectly understand that QCAD is strictly a 2D CAD! ;)

Pardon me another question:
I imagine that it would be natural to draw the elevation view of a horizontal wall (say the north wall), vertically on top of it.
Doing so, it would be very convenient to use all the necessary reference points from the floor plan, and "project" them on its elevation view. (and then show the elevation where it is needed in the final drawing, by the use of "viewports").
But what about the side walls? or - even worse - the south walls? It would be challenging drawing them: their construction would require a rotation of 90-270 degrees (or 180 for the south wall. It would mean drawing the elevation upside down!!!)
It seems to me that the whole process would be extremely unnatural, even if it would be later possible to show the views upright by the use of viewports and rotation!

If I only had a tutorial about drawing the elevation views I wouldn't be bothering you with my silly questions... :)
Thank you all for your attention and patience.
D

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Looking for best practices in drawing elevation views of an architectural floor plan

Post by Husky » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:01 am

Hi DanRom624,
DanRom624 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:49 pm
Hello.
I'm interested in drawing the elevation views of some architectural floor plans that I've drawn during the past few weeks.
Where could I find some tutorials about it? Or a list of best practices?
Sorry, I have no information of any good and free available tutorial regarding this topic. Maybe an other user knows more than me ... :oops:
DanRom624 wrote:
For instance, I was also wondering if it is possible to "link" some parameters of the floor plan to those of the relevant elevation view.
Say, if I change the length of a wall in a floor plan, is there a way to have it automatically modified on its relevant elevation view? Or the position of a piece of furniture... If I move it around the floor, is there a way to automatically move it by the same quantity within the relevant elevation(s)?
No, you cant link entities to each other but with smart use of QCAD tools like copy/move or stretch it would be possible to accomplish at least parts of this goal.
DanRom624 wrote:
I imagine that it would be natural to draw the elevation view of a horizontal wall (say the north wall), vertically on top of it.
Doing so, it would be very convenient to use all the necessary reference points from the floor plan, and "project" them on its elevation view. (and then show the elevation where it is needed in the final drawing, by the use of "viewports").
But what about the side walls? or - even worse - the south walls? It would be challenging drawing them: their construction would require a rotation of 90-270 degrees (or 180 for the south wall. It would mean drawing the elevation upside down!!!)
It seems to me that the whole process would be extremely unnatural, even if it would be later possible to show the views upright by the use of viewports and rotation!
Yes, that would be the best approach. It is called Orthographic projection. Normally a rotation etc. isn't necessary but it is easy to do in CAD and would be deleted afterward.

I can't imagine what the situation is on your north wall or even on the south wall :lol: but if you attache the drawing to your post we are happy to look into it.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

DanRom624
Newbie Member

Re: Looking for best practices in drawing elevation views of an architectural floor plan

Post by DanRom624 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:18 pm

Sorry Husky for my late reply, and thank you for your prompt one
Things have been hectic on this side...

Here is the floor plan of the kitchen, to give you a rough idea of what I mean...
Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 21.44.12.png
Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 21.44.12.png (102.44 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
Here you can see, along the wall atop, a small misalignment between the refrigerator and its dimension (60).
What happened is that I slightly moved the refrigerator to the left, but the dimensions lines did not move accordingly.
I believe that this kind of problem is inherent in any non-parametric CAD, like QCAD; I understand that there are no ways to prevent similar misalignments between the top view and the relevant elevation view of a wall, other than making a smart use of the copy and stretch functions, as you suggest.

I'm not new to CAD in general, but I am a self-taught user of QCAD.
I'm proceeding by trying to make good use of what I learned when I was a young student (but that was hand drawing only!), or using other CAD tools (mainly 3d, though), and applying a lot of common sense and a bit of personal taste. I started QCAD from scratch, only three or four weeks ago. It was a steep learning process, especially because I'm +60 yo.
Nevertheless, I'm proud of the result: not perfect, but very easy to understand by the contractors, which is the ultimate goal.
However, I make use of the "layers" in a much different way than what the majority of the QCAD users make (if I got it right).
Essentially, I use them as "filters" to show and hide what I need in a specific context. For instance:
I have a layer for the floorplan, "naked", a layer for doors and windows, a layer for the electric system, a layer for my furniture, and so on and so forth.
Some layers have sublayers, which is a much-appreciated feature of the "professional" version of QCAD, as it is the "Layers states" and many more.

Thank you again for your essential support!
D

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:01 am

DanRom624 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:18 pm
Here you can see, along the wall atop, a small misalignment between the refrigerator and its dimension (60).
What happened is that I slightly moved the refrigerator to the left, but the dimensions lines did not move accordingly.
I believe that this kind of problem is inherent in any non-parametric CAD, like QCAD; I understand that there are no ways to prevent similar misalignments between the top view and the relevant elevation view of a wall, other than making a smart use of the copy and stretch functions, as you suggest.
As I understand the drawing you moved the fridge because the door slammed into the wall, correct?
If you know how entities respond to different tools you can easily solve that task with the stretch tool. The Stretch tool will "move" the fridge and adjust the 140 dim. Of course - only one of many solutions ...

Stretch.gif
Stretch.gif (1.61 MiB) Viewed 3259 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

DanRom624
Newbie Member

Post by DanRom624 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:22 pm

Great! Thank you :-)
I live the topic open, just in case someone has a suggestion about my first question, that about the best practices.

Thank you again for dedicating your time to us, newcomers ;-)

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:31 am

Good day from Australia:
I am a building designer with many decades of experience with a few comments that I hope may assist. I do not know what country or what facilities are available to you.

The simplest way that I know of to draw elevations is to draw temporary projection lines off your plan. First, ensure the Plan is near final. You can also make temporary "copies" electronically of the plan, rotate theses (90 degrees, etc) draw the elevation/s and then delete the temporary plan. This is the simplest and standard way unless thinking 3D. 3D is a steep learning curve.

To understand "tolerances" and "human space" requirements I would recommend talking with the place that will provide your refrigerator. Also Google on those subjects (or New Metric Handbook by Tutt and Adler) QCAD works to tolerances that builders cannot match. Usually, 10mm accuracy is the best they can do. The purchased equipment also needs thinking about - a 600mm wide refrigerator needs ventilation space as well as clearance space around it and space at the back to remove/ insert the plug. (Double power heights are more practical than single and only a small extra cost). The refrigerator door needs to open beyond 90 degrees, so you can remove shelves or the "crisper drawer". Plan ahead and build in a removable drawer unit in case you have to buy another refrigeration and it is wider. Good to think about the space needed for door and cupboard handles.

Is the room for two people or four? The cook may be critical of the two chairs in their working space! It is the little things that annoy them. If two people, could they sit at the ends of table,? if four perhaps a bench seat against the wall? Are microwaves used in your area? install waist height for safety. Ensure the sink area is almost bulletproof, by that I mean waterproof not just 'water resistant'.

If replacing the floor finish, cover all the floor, not too just to the benches. As what happens when want to move something and the floor covering type is not available to fill the gap? Have you made an allowance for a baseboard (skirting)? If Kitchen manufacturers are available to you they may have a design service or at least advise you on what they can do and what is not possible.

Understanding "tolerances" and "human space" requirements are very important as is consulting, asking, and learning, we can always learn more!
Regards Nigel

NonnyM
Newbie Member

Post by NonnyM » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:33 am

By chance I found a YouTube video by “30x40 design workshop” .which gives some pointers.

The Cad app used is advanced compared with qcad but there a few nuggets of info you could make use of.

Rgds

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”