'enter' does not work

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

don62
Newbie Member

'enter' does not work

Post by don62 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:39 am

using coordinates to draw a line
click on line, two points, coord system
x and y box appear - enter numbers, press 'enter' nothing happens the numbers remain in the boxes. you then need to use the mouse to go back to x box, erase the old number and enter the new number
on the bottom under the command line it says 'next point. if i enter, say 10,10 and press enter, nothing happens
what am i doing wrong?
thanks
don

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: 'enter' does not work

Post by Husky » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:20 am

Hi don,

with that what I know so far about your issue I can't reproduce it in a current QCAD version.

Please indicate your operating system and QCAD version.
Which "enter" is used? Keyboard or NUMpad,
is your intend to use relative or absolute coordinates?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:55 am

hi don,
don62 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:39 am
on the bottom under the command line it says 'next point.
This means something has happened ... For Line From 2 points (LI) the mouse tool tip sequence is 'First Point' - 'Next Point' - 'Next Point' - ....

Probably after your second attempt because I can replicate your issue for the first point.

- Line Tools (WL)
- Line From 2 points (LI)
The Option Toolbar for lines is displayed.
Remark that you can activate this tool directly by typing 'LI'. :wink:
- Snapping to coordinate (SX)
The Option Toolbar for coordinate snapping is added.
This holds numbers from the last usage, (1000,-3000) in my case.
When I use the Enter key of my numpad the Option Toolbar for snapping disappears and the line tool still requires a first point.

The other two methods are fully functional:
- The standard Enter key.
- Set Coordinate (Enter) with the tick mark icon in the Option Toolbar.

I now suspect this issue may pop up in different places ...
I think a Bug report is in order.

Yes, you can then use the mouse to go back to X-box.
But you can also use TAB and Shift+TAB within the Toolbar.
Everything depends on what you did or clicked in between.
When you need the focus back on the Options Toolbar use Ctrl+Space.

In general we don't use Snapping to coordinate (SX) to enter positions.
After LI set the focus to the command line (Space) and simply enter coordinate pairs in the command line.
This is fully functional with the numpad Enter key.
All methods are supported: absolute Cartesian, relative Cartesian, absolute polar and relative polar coordinates

Regards,
CVH

don62
Newbie Member

Post by don62 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:03 pm

further testing:
click on line, two points, grid - line below command line says next point and entering numbers works'
click on line, two points, coord (sx) x - y boxes appear on top - green check works but enter key does not work - line below command line says next point and you can enter values but nothing happens when you press enter.

so it seems you can use the coord system only when you do not select coord (sx) system

don62
Newbie Member

Post by don62 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:15 pm

operating system win11
qcad version 3.27.6.0(3.27.6)
keyboard enter
absolute

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:45 pm

don62 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:15 pm
operating system win11
qcad version 3.27.6.0(3.27.6)
keyboard enter
absolute
Thanks for the info:
don62 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:03 pm
click on line, two points, coord (sx) x - y boxes appear on top - green check works but enter key does not work
I believe it is because the coordinate option bar isn't active. I assume for your test you just launch coord but used without any changes (click in the value field) the existing values. Because of that "Enter" runs in a Nirwana because QCAD has no idea on what "Enter" has to be used ...

Please try this:
line two points, coord (sx), hit CTRL + Space key on keyboard, enter. Works or not?

then try a different approach:
line two points, coord (sx), change the values for x and y in the coordinate option bar, hit enter. Works or not?
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:52 pm

What ever I try - it works like a charm.

Do you change the snap mode for the second point of the line - something like free snap SF?

SX.gif
SX.gif (900.67 KiB) Viewed 2336 times

don62
Newbie Member

Post by don62 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:51 am

okay getting confused but: first suggestion - x,y shows values from previous action. line says first point. press ctrl+space, enter - nothing happens. enter new values for x,y press enter - line is drawn, bottom says next point. put coordinates in and line is drawn from previous action to that point. press enter and the line disappears
second suggestion - opens with last value in x,y below says first point. change value for x,y press enter line drawn point put at that coord. add new x,y line drawn to that point, press enter point put at that coord. below says next point - enter new value there and line drawn to the new coord. press enter and the line disappears.

note that if i DO NOT select coord (sx) but instead select grid - entering new coord below works perfectly.

appreciate all the help

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:19 am

Ok, sounds we are getting closer ...
don62 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:51 am
okay getting confused but: first suggestion - x,y shows values from previous action. line says first point. press ctrl+space, enter - nothing happens. enter new values for x,y press enter - line is drawn, bottom says next point. put coordinates in and line is drawn from previous action to that point. press enter and the line disappears
FYI: The Line 2 Points is designed to draw a chain of lines. To get a feeling for that draw lines only with the mouse. Click a few times in Model_Space and see what happens.
This said - if it asking for the First Point - determine the first point:
First Point
if it then is asking for the next point - give the next point
First Point - Line - Next Point
then it will keep asking you for a next point (for the next line in this chain)
First Point - Line - Next Point - Line - Next Point ...
That will go on until you terminate the tool
First Point - Line - Next Point - Line - Next Point - Line - Next Point - Line - Next Point - Line - Next Point - Line - Next Point - Line ... Terminated.

Another thing is: If you determine the First Point with coord. the Line can't be seen before you change the coordinate values to something else than the first coordinate values. The begin and the end of the line would be on the same coordinate what means - zero line lengths - no line visible.

If the Enter not works try to switch to the other Enter key ...

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:09 am

Hi,

SnapCoordinate.js seems to be an odd one in the bite and SnapCoordinatePolar.js is based on that.
It is the only occurrence of setButton.shortcut = new QKeySequence("Return"); throughout the open source scripts.
While the toolTip is 'Enter' what is the text on my number pad key, the standard one has a pictorial that means carriage return + newline.
The remark of Andrew in the code is:
// can't have both Return and Enter here:

Below: // trigger snap when number pad enter is pressed in coordinate line edits:
Additional trigger code is added for each input field ["X", "Y", "R", "A"] ... Depending what method is active:

Updated may 2021 in reply to https://qcad.org/bugtracker/index.php?d ... sk_id=2239

This means that the sequence LI, SX, Ctrl-Space, number pad 'Enter' to use the former coordinates should work and it does.
Because after Ctrl-Space the focus is on the 'X' or the 'r' field and the additional trigger code will trigger the 'Set Coordinate'.

Remark that seemingly nothing happens on your drawing area, you just entered the first point of a line.
You need at least 2 (different) points for a line between points. :wink:
The left MouseTip will ask to indicate the next point and so far the coordinate fields are unchanged.
The cross hair is still at the initial coordinate and will only change if you enter different numbers.
Any next 'Set Coordinate' or 'Enter' or 'Return' will create a new line segment.
And like Husky explained, if you do that twice on the same spot the line will be zero units long.

Without the Ctrl-Space the Option Toolbar doesn't have the focus.
Once established with Ctrl-Space or clicking on it I can not replicate the line(s) disappearing.

In most cases you can not start typing input values without moving the focus.
Probably intended, there are no standard tool shortcuts with all numbers (There is a custom one with '22').

There is another use of a Tick mark, Convert Drawing Units (CU), and that one doesn't respond on the keyboard at all.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”